What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing top skins, p. 16-3

Freightdawg

Well Known Member
On the inboard edge of the top skin, just aft of the rear spar, there's a hole that's drilled and dimpled for a #8 screw. On the back-side of the skin, the plans call for a K1100-08 plate nut.

Are the holes for the rivets that attach the plate nut supposed to be dimpled or countersunk? I'm thinking the skin is too thin to countersink, but to my untrained eyeball, it looks like dimples for the rivets will encroach upon the dimple for the screw.

What's the approved solution?

Thanks.

Jeff

There is a doubler in there for the stepping area and it's too thick to dimple. You need to countersink those.

Dimpling works here:
DSC_3699.jpg

Follow up to my original post - I just finished the second wing skin and it is very tight with a normal female die. I did, in fact, use the small diameter die for these dimples. There are several places where the small diameter dies have come in handy.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. The smaller of the two skins is .032, the min thickness for countersinking for the rivets called. So, I ended up countersinking.

Back