What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Digital aircraft logbook software

j_omega

I use Garmin Pilot to keep my pilot log and find it much easier to manage than paper logs. I am looking for a piece of software (desktop/mobile) to do the same for my airframe/engine logs. Any recommendations?

I use Garmin Pilot to keep my pilot log and find it much easier to manage than paper logs. I am looking for a piece of software (desktop/mobile) to do the same for my airframe/engine logs. Any recommendations?

Excel.

You don't need access to it after every flight, just for maintenance and other big events like that. If you want to use it on mobile or have it backed up on the cloud just use Google Sheets or Office 365, although Google Sheets is a much more polished product.

I second the spreadsheet recommendation. I've been using them for logs for 20 years. First in Excel, then moved to OpenOffice, and now LibreOffice. Haven't tried moving them to Google Sheets but the cloud integration does appeal. Right now I just store the spreadsheet on my Google Drive and open it with whatever computer I have handy. LibreOffice is free so I can install it anywhere.

Excel.

You don't need access to it after every flight, just for maintenance and other big events like that. If you want to use it on mobile or have it backed up on the cloud just use Google Sheets or Office 365, although Google Sheets is a much more polished product.

I second the spreadsheet recommendation. I've been using them for logs for 20 years. First in Excel, then moved to OpenOffice, and now LibreOffice. Haven't tried moving them to Google Sheets but the cloud integration does appeal. Right now I just store the spreadsheet on my Google Drive and open it with whatever computer I have handy. LibreOffice is free so I can install it anywhere.

Sounds like three (3) of us are and have been doing the same thing.

I also like Excel but for 2019, I am giving up Microsoft. OpenOffice looks, feels, and works like MS Office. LibreOffice is the same. I have OpenOffice on the Mac machine and LibreOffice on the Ubuntu machine. Started moving away from Microsoft products in 2007 when they came out with that version of Office with the "Ribbon". Have not liked anything Microsoft has done since then and have found alternatives to all their products.

Any of the cloud based FREE services will work to keep a copy of the records that can be used by all platforms. I started using Dropbox when it first came out and it works on all platforms that I have used.

Transponder & IFR check entries and Annuals

So for you guys that do digital logbooks what do you do to maintain your "official" Transponder, IFR check and Annual entries?

The Transponder & IFR checks need an offical entry signed by a certified repair station and the Annual also needs to be signed by the person that performed the work. So don't you still need a hard copy in order maintain a record these items?

So for you guys that do digital logbooks what do you do to maintain your "official" Transponder, IFR check and Annual entries?

The Transponder & IFR checks need an offical entry signed by a certified repair station and the Annual also needs to be signed by the person that performed the work. So don't you still need a hard copy in order maintain a record these items?

I have always used an electronic log. As you know, many others only understand paper. I have a printed copy (with my signatures added) that can be used for the repair station that does my Pitot / Static / Transponder check.

After their entry is made on paper, I will put a place holder in the electronic log or sometimes scan or photo it and put that in the eLog.

FWIW: I just use a simple WORD document, print each entry on a label then stick the label in a logbook. That way I have everything electronically searchable with 100% paper backup. YMMV

:cool:

According to 'expert' writers, all you're legally required to keep is 'a record'. So a shoe box of the signoffs you can't do yourself would meet the legal requirement for record keeping. A scanner might eliminate the shoe box...

Scan the receipt from the work done and save as a PDF in your maintenance records folder. Make reference to it in the logbook spreadsheet on the line describing the maintenance done.

That said, I keep both a paper log (that I fill out first, when i'm at the plane) and a digital log (in spreadsheet, as mentioned). The digital is a backup, and a way to look for trends in the data.

Add this feature to ForeFlight logbook

All of this sound like something that ForeFlight could easily add to their lineup. I already use their logbook feature for logging my flights. My instructor was also able to sign/endorse my FF logbook when I earned my seaplane rating and I'm also able to utilize it for my BFR sign-off . I think FF could easily add an aircraft logbook feature where everything could be documented...airframe/engine/prop/ongoing maintenance/transponder and IFR checks/etc. etc. Pictures could also be uploaded to be associated with any logbook repair/maintenance entry. Heck, they should also have a builders log template where both entries and pictures could be uploaded. And just like their flight log feature, all of this could be printed up if you'd also like to keep a hard copy for your own records or to provide that documentation for someone else.

Mark

Web App?

Being a web application designer I feel this could be a pretty fun side project. Would anyone be interested in working with me to gather requirements for a functional design? As an RV-10 builder I really like the idea of a build log as well!

I think the possibilities are limitless really!

Back