VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 AM

Default Who has 4-pipe exhaust with smoke.

If you have a straight 4-pipe exhaust with smoke system can you please post up:

Number of injectors
Location of injectors
Flow rate
Quality of smoke.

I have a 4-pipe with 4 injectors about 10 from the tips and my smoke is beyond terrible. Trying to determine if its my homegrown injectors, flow rate or to cold of location. I have welded in NPT ports and a coated exhaust so trying to eliminate any additional trial and error here.

Thanks for any help.
2018 dues paid.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 AM

Default I do

I have the 4 pipe Vetterman on my -4, with 2 injectors on the 2 outboard pipes. My smoke is decent, but typical of the single pipe-per-cylinder set-ups, I have a series of puffs...funny to watch in super slow motion video, as it looks like a steam locomotive. Mine are from Smoking planes, and are about 12" from the end. I do get more residue than I like on the belly, and plan to add 2 more injectors on the other pipes. In hind sight, I would have put my injectors up front but I didn't want lines run up that far. Cant tell you the flow rate, but my "valve" is only open about a half turn.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:44 AM

Default My home made system

Rv4 o320 vetterman 4 pipe

The late Dave Beisemier made me 4 injector nozzles out of stainless bolts. Held in by band clamps same as your egt probe. Dia of nozzles are .100 inch ( .100 is to small and prone to blockage from burn residue. Your an fittings will work fine I used those on my pitts set up

My nozzles are about 4 inches below exhaust port. I used 1/8 inch stainless lines from a homemade flow divider to each pipe. (I would use 3/16 or 1/4 lines if i did it over) also would have moved the injectors to just above the ball/slip joints

4 gallon tank in fwd part of bag comparment wwlded .050 6061 sure flow ag sprayer pump 70 psi. ( bigger lines would allow for a smaller low pressur pump ( facet fuel pump).

No regulator runs through 4 gallons in about 8 mins

Makes great smoke if using good smoke oil. Cheap substitutes give crappy smoke

https://youtu.be/yDux0BHahrw

Cm
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:32 PM

Default Sure seems like 4 into 2 makes better smoke.

I have 4 into 4 system with two Smoking Airplanes fan injectors. Have experimented with injector location. On mine there is no doubt that up closer to the cylinder works better. I moved them back to about a foot from the exhaust end and smoke was noticably weaker. My flow rate through the injectors in 1.7 gpm. I have Edelbrock 72051 solenoids, number 6 lines to the solenoids and number 4 24 in lines to the injectors.
Flying next to planes with identical hoses and injectors the 4 into 2 systems smoke looks better. It has to be the extra flow and temp of 2 pipes compared to 1.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do