What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lake X Airport

RONSIM

Well Known Member
We have friends in the St. Cloud area we would like to visit more often, but the drive over from Clearwater area is horrendous because of traffic. Does anyone know if the Lake X airport is available for use? I know at one time it was not, but AirNav, and other sources seem to indicate that a Foundation now owns the property, and the airport may be available for use? It would make the trip over in our RV-6A really nice.

Ron

Lake X

I?ll be curious what you find out about Lake X. I did a lot flying around Florida back in the 70?s-80?s and flew over there a few times. Lake X was VERY Private back then. Heard many stories of folks without permission landing there and being met by armed guards and told not so nicely to leave immediately. Word was that it was a secret R&D location for a large outboard motor manufacturer worried about industrial espionage. There used to be a very large covered dock just north of the runway. It would be nice if it is now a user friendly place.

Lake X has been closed for several years. I don't know who owns it now. Last I heard was the Boy Scouts were looking at the property but I think that fell through. No ides who to contact for info

Apparently, Kirchman Foundation,

or Kirchman Corporation, depending on which source you use, owns the property. (Google Lake X Airport).

I was starting to have some hope, until the posting that Mercury Marine is coming back to the site.

Oh, well;

Back