- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Wood View Post
Her response surprised me. "We'll have the Bonanza for a four place so build an 8 and make it a fast one.".
Hmmmmmm, can you have her talk to my wife????

What is it you have in your tag line, --- "daydreams of a Super 8 or a Rocket starting to take over my brain."

I am so consumed by the idea of a Super 8, with a ShowPlanes canopy and cowl setup, & Grove gear legs.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-03-2011, 01:50 PM
VAF Moderator

Default Mama did't tell me about these

One of my favorite pictures from the trip taken by Alina Buono. We haven't been "Feet Wet" for very long when off in the distance we see this.

RV-3B Tail, wings and fuselage.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Just got back from another island dinner. Hey, this is definitely not the ritz, but most of the food is good. But, it doesn't matter, because the company is great and we can simply take over most any place we walk into (most places don't have inside tables). Did anybody say, we have 41 people here!

I have to say, I'm not much of a traveler. In fact, I hate to travel. However, I built this thing in my garage called an "RV" and it LOVES to travel, as does Tanya. So, it is truely through this machine that I have a very personal connection to that connects me to some of the most grand adventures and people I could ever imagine.

Today, as with most so far, we got up, had breakfast in the room, and wandered down to the "super secret cove" for a perfect swim and snorkle on one of the most beautiful postcard perfect beaches that I had ever seen. Then took the dive boat to a spot they call the "Blue hole" for a scuba dive to a big natural hole/tunnel that goes through the island 8mi. We went down to 90' and saw some amazing sights. It is amazing to dive in clear water as opposed to the 2.5' visibility that we're used to. Returned to BS around the pool for a couple of hours, then dinner.

Oh, there is a pretty funny story here: For the past couple of evenings, we've been walking down the road about .25 mi (in light rain each evening) to eat dinner at a sort of outdoor collection of food and bar shacks. Really, some of the most primitive conditions that most would consider "dinner". Food is cooked by ...(Rosie: insert her name here)... The nicest local cook you would want cooking your food, on an outdoor grill. Really good food at a great price by my opinion. Anyway, she is taking the day off today for a local holiday, "Labour Day". So, we're walking to another place, and one of the other "Fish Fry" shack cooks came zooming up the road, as they do here at full throttle, and came to a skidding stop across the road when he saw us. He hopped out of his car, dashed across the road, and handed Rosie his menu for tonight with the hard sell to come eat at his shack. The problem is that some in the group were OVER eating next to the big rusted barge and tugboat while getting pelted by wind, sand, and rain. We were generally looking for someplace with a table and chairs that was out of the rain . So the "chef" was out of luck for tonight.

Stay tuned. The group is flying out to another island for lunch tomorrow (~10am here) and I bet there will be a whole other flood of pictures and stories to come.

Build On! I know I will when I get home .
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)

Last edited by scard : 06-03-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBone View Post
You just need the big numbers coming back in. I brought a roll of electrical tape and plan on putting the numbers on before leaving Exuma.
FAR 45.29(h) says "After March 7, 1988, each operator of an aircraft penetrating an ADIZ or DEWIZ must display on that aircraft temporary or permanent nationality and registration marks at least 12 inches high".

That reg applies for ops in the ADIZ, no matter which way you are going.

Fortunately FAR 45 only applies to US registered aircraft, so I won't have to worry about it if I ever go to the Bahamas.
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
Old 06-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Default OK.. OK...Time to Chime in

I have been behind with updating my website. Janet and I have been having such a good time, first in Maryland, then in Homestead and finally on the island. Rosie, Deb and Scott and Tanya have covered the adventure aptly. I finally caught up on my website, so if you can stand yet another account of the adventure, you can check it out here:
www.getbusylivingnow.net
Gene and Janet Larsen
"Moody Blue" RV9A
c/p 515-321-2280
www.GetBusyLivingNow.Net
Old 06-04-2011, 08:35 AM

Great images of a great trip.

What an adventure, thanks for taking the time to post all the reports and pictures.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:56 AM

really thought we would see more of the white sandy beaches and turquoise water pics like this,

Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player

Last edited by Rosie : 01-21-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
really thought we would see more of the white sandy beaches and turquoise water pics like this,
Turbo, Coming right up! Processing pictures now from todays flyout down to Crooked Island at Pittstown Point, 29 people, 13 airplanes. Simply amazing!

It was a dark and stormy morning on the island Mon', when 29 sheep assembled to be herded to the airport... (the full story with pictures is coming, while I go pour a stiff drink.)

Ok, a couple of drinks later, HERE are our (77) pictures of the day 4 flyout to lunch, with a few captions by yours truely. I didn't upload full resolution, but they are available. Here is a teaser for the lazy people .

We watched the rain clouds for 20 minutes before they hit us, so we knew they were at least moving. The ringleader instructed his minions to check with a couple other island airports for the weather. "It's clear here, and your direction looks dark, but southeast is just puffy clouds." That's all we needed to hear, and we were off to meet our chariots for the day. Shake the water off the canopy cover, release the tie-downs, and off into the dreary sky. We pointed southeast and awed at the multitude of tourquoises and blues. The tourquoise reflecting off the underbelly of the clouds is still eluding the camera, so you'll have to come see that for yourself. Delta flight cruised down the east side of Long Island on the way, and 2 decided to take the opportunity for some low flight over the scenery. Lead cleared us down, we kept him in sight the whole way, and Scott ("Scoot") proceeded to race down the coast at 200 feet, 160 knots, with well over 29 inches of manifold pressure. OK, play time was over and it was back into the flight, easy as pie since they were never out of sight. The field at Pittsdown Point has no taxiways, so each flight landed and continued to the end of the runway. Once the last plane in the flight was down, they called their position and the flight taxied down the runway. Two more identical drills, with JimmyB flagging us in, and we were once again assembled.

The FBo was ready for our flight with a great table setting and some welcome punch. I'm not sure how many times I heard pilots confirm it was a non-alcholic punch, but that made me smile every time. It's best to be wise and safe. Lunch was comprised of chicken, grouper, conch, rice, coleslaw, salad, carrot cake, and key lime pie. They sure had it all together. Lunch entertainment was the usual hangar flying stories, but the icing was Rosie presiding over the union of "The Keys". Of course, it was time to wander the beach a little, take some pictures, and saddle up for the ride home. A few of us took the opportunity to get some nice pictures over the lighthouse and were rewarded for our efforts.

A nice, smooth flight home awaited us even at 2 in the afternoon. That would never happen back home this time of year. Some minor in flight adjustments of plans saw the inagural flight of "Scoot Flight" over the water for the return. A few more pictures along the coastline of the island we are calling home for the week. Ready to dream about the next adventure, surely only hours away... (by tcard)
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)

Last edited by scard : 06-05-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 PM

After hard day of final assembly I am ready for motivation injection...

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Default Pittstown Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
Processing pictures now from todays flyout down to Crooked Island at Pitstown Point, 29 people, 15 (?) airplanes. Simply amazing!
That must have overwhelmed them! Here's some pics from the 2001 Alpha Flt to Pittstown. Ask JimmyB or Zilik about the hailstorm!

2001 Alpha Flt

JB getting in some laps

Lighthouse off the end of the runway

Glad you guys are having fun. Wish we were there. Sure brings back the memories.

Lucky/CJ

Last edited by Laird : 06-04-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added pics