What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Dragger

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
If lucky, we eventually reach the age where "aging pilot population" is no longer a theoretical concern. I have two very good friends who now need a little help dragging their airplanes in and out of the hangar, so I started to think about how I could fix the problem. Neither friend is poor. They could buy one of the commercial devices for dragging airplanes, but hey, it looked like a fun design exercise. Could it be done simply and cheap?

Well, here is the result, a classic TLAR if there ever was one.

Unpainted.jpg

Painted.jpg

The basic components are a 3/4" square 16 gauge mild steel frame, two 10" wheels/tire assemblies from Harbor Freight, a DeWalt 1/2" drive corded, reversible, variable speed drill, two bearing blocks, and the gearbox/axle from a snowblower rotor. To adapt the wheels, knock out the cheap bearings, weld in a machined solid steel plug, then drill for a shear bolt through the axle. All weight is carried by the axle, frame and bearing blocks; the gearbox has only torque loads. Total parts cost was a little under $100, plus the new drill at $99.

The drill has a max speed of 1000 RPM. With 10" wheels and 10:1 gearbox ratio, the result is a brisk walk at full throttle. Seems to have plenty of torque starting from rest with a Legend Cub at a little under 850 lbs. For a heavier aircraft like an RV, one might switch to 8" wheels just to reduce motor and gearbox loads. We've tried both. The hard poly 8" wheels can spin and leave black marks on the floor.

I built two. The only difference between them is the method of picking up the tailwheel, as one is a single sided Maule with hubcap, while the other has pins on both sides.

Usual caution; highly experimental. I have no idea if they will hold up long term in service; redneck boys from south Alabama know nothing about the durability of snowblowers. I will report back if they die.

Last edited:
TV?

So, did you do a torsional vibration analysis? That long unsupported drive shaft looks dangerous. ;)

Regards,

Plans or Quickbuild...

Better get your marketing hat on, I think there will be inquiries! I'm already studying the cordless option and such. Most importantly though, what kind of primer are you going to use??

Build me one for the Tundra - 2550 GW and about 250 lbs on the Scott tailwheel. We’ll test it to destruction!

I’d do it, but am to busy starting taxi testing on the noisy project.... :)

Paul

So, did you do a torsional vibration analysis? That long unsupported drive shaft looks dangerous. ;)

Torsional no problem. The actual concern is called "critical speed".

I'm already studying the cordless option and such. Most importantly though, what kind of primer are you going to use??

A 600 RPM cordless might work well with the 10" wheels. We just didn't want to fool with batteries, and cordless costs more too. Cuts into the beer fund.

Primer? The third essential element, of course; duct tape, WD-40, and Rustoleum ;)

Last edited:
Love it!

I think I could handle the construction of one of these, but I have no idea where to get a snowblower gearbox. Maybe RV-8 builder Don McNamara .... Elkhart Indiana transplant to Peoria Arizona would have a couple he no longer needs!

I plan to use PPG DP-90 epoxy primmer! It's the best! No topcoat needed!

Last edited:
You might as well start the company up. My C180 weighs as much as Paul's Tundra and heck, while I can still push it around, that 1" edge on the hangar floor is getting harder.

Dave

You might as well start the company up. My C180 weighs as much as Paul's Tundra and heck, while I can still push it around, that 1" edge on the hangar floor is getting harder.

Dave

I share your pain. I used to share a hangar with a Skywagon, and I would have to move it out to get my RV-8 out, then put the Skywagon back. Two in-out's per RV flight. Fortunately, we had a gas-powered tail wheel dragger.

Quick update; both units doing fine.

One of my buds was dragging his S7 three weeks after knee replacements. Me like.

That company's already started!

Dave

Good news, folks... that company has already started. Check out our friends over at Minimax Tugs. Their tugs use a cordless drill, but basically the same concept. They've got tugs specially designed for A-model RVs. We're working with them on a design for the taildragger RVs that will be a little more suitable than their current taildragger tugs, and should work with all the tailwheel forks on the market (their current taildragger models need a little more clearance at the front of the fork than what the stock Van's tailwheel has).

Those new RV taildragger models should be ready for primetime in a month or so... let me know if you want to be kept in the loop on that (DM me or shoot an email to [email protected]).

It's only fair to mention that I no longer need one. I now have an AC TrackTech T1X2, which more than meets my needs.

T1X2_TOP-ANGLED-1.jpg

You can find it here.

Its speed range is from zero to faster than I'm comfortable with. Since it's controlled by a remote, I can walk around and check clearances while moving it. It has battery managers that are designed to permit leaving it plugged in when I'm not there.

Dave

I'll get get me a 30 year old girlfriend to help me move my plane... :D

Nice project Dan... FYI a "Best Tug" A2 starts at $2995.

I'll get get me a 30 year old girlfriend to help me move my plane... :D Nice project Dan... FYI a "Best Tug" A2 starts at $2995.

Thank you. Had to build them myself, can't afford to buy one. Ms. Patti says I definitely can't afford a 30-year old girlfriend.

Back