What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Rib flange tool

YellaDawg

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I heard some had made a tool to bend the wing rib flanges to achieve the 90degree bend to the web. Does anyone have one, or can send a picture of what you have, so I can make one? Thanks in advance!!

I made one and should have made two.

Really should have - one with a stick about 1 1/2" wide for straight flanges and one with a curved stick, perhaps a 2" radius and perhaps 3/4" wide for curved flanges.

Dave

Usage Question

Is this tool used to ensure the flanges are 90* relative to the web of the rib? Does it have an impact on fluting?

Thanks,
Mike

Flange tool

Is this tool used to ensure the flanges are 90* relative to the web of the rib? Does it have an impact on fluting?

Thanks,
Mike

I made one as well.
Yes and maybe.
Use it prior to fluting and there are a few ribs where the flange is not supposed to be at 90 so check the plans before straightening or fluting.

Is this device used anywhere else other than for ribs? I am almost to the finishing kit and I might be willing to part with mine as long as it is not used elsewhere.

I used it on the bulkheads and seat ribs, too. But in my RV-3B kit , the parts might not be as well made as yours. Still, I've found it handy from time to time through the construction.

Dave

Back