What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview HDX vs. Garmin G3X Touch

psalys

Patron
I just ordered my RV-12 empennage kit and am thinking ahead. It seems that the skyview hdx is very popular on the forum but what about the garmin? It seemed very intuitive and a has beautiful screen when I played with the demo at Vans. Both units also seem similarly priced. Why would I go with the Dynon?

Thanks,
Patrick

G3X

Do you like Coke, or Pepsi?

I suggest finding someone that has either of them and trying them out.

I personally have an all-garmin setup. I like the interface, features and commonality with my certified stuff. Also, Garmin Pilot app talks directly to it for both in the air and pre-flight stuff.

6 or a half dozen...

I went with Dynon because I was more familiar with its installation AND I trained in a friends -7 that had a Dynon SV1000T dual screen system.

You could replaced Dynon with Garmin in the sentence above.

Try bothand go with the one you like most. Skyview is intuitive to me but the Garmin system is a little more opaque.

I have the G3X Touch in an all Garmin system, GTN750, but a GRT Mini as the if all else fails independent backup. I love it, and find it completely easy and intuitive. The autopilot in particular is fabulous, I swear if it were not illegal, you could fly Cat III approaches with it, solidly delivering you within 5 feet of the center line every time. The envelope AP protection feature is also a great safety item. What I particularly like is the commonality and interfacing with the certified Garmin pieces. The physical build is just like the cert stuff, same knobs, buttons, same style and level of documentation. And the graphics, in my opinion, are more transport category style.

If ever in Chicago, stop by for a ride!

That said, others like the Dynons just as well...

Reinhard Metz

All Garmin for me

Both systems will do the job.
I like keeping the system all to the same manufacture.

You will have a Garmin Radio.

If you have any trouble with the Radio you will know which manufacture is at fault if you have all Garmin .

My View

I just ordered my RV-12 empennage kit and am thinking ahead. It seems that the skyview hdx is very popular on the forum but what about the garmin? It seemed very intuitive and a has beautiful screen when I played with the demo at Vans. Both units also seem similarly priced. Why would I go with the Dynon?

Thanks,
Patrick

I have the G3X Touch in an all Garmin system, GTN750, but a GRT Mini as the if all else fails independent backup. I love it, and find it completely easy and intuitive. The autopilot in particular is fabulous, I swear if it were not illegal, you could fly Cat III approaches with it, solidly delivering you within 5 feet of the center line every time. The envelope AP protection feature is also a great safety item. What I particularly like is the commonality and interfacing with the certified Garmin pieces. The physical build is just like the cert stuff, same knobs, buttons, same style and level of documentation. And the graphics, in my opinion, are more transport category style.

If ever in Chicago, stop by for a ride!

That said, others like the Dynons just as well...

Reinhard Metz

My feeling also....the auto pilot function is top notch (the smart servos are part of it)....I ditto the approach capability. I have no thoughts of "ever" flying ifr again....not in a-12. But it is comforting to know that in a pinch this thing will put me at a decision altitude on runway center line...might not be "legal" but if fuel is about out; I'll take the ramp check.

Thanks,
Patrick

Could someone comment on a comparison of the cost to update the database?

Jerre

Could someone comment on a comparison of the cost to update the database?

Jerre

The G3X Touch is $149.95/yr for everything all GEO Referenced.

A similar option for the Dynon requires a third party subscription for $99/yr.

The G3X Touch is $149.95/yr for everything all GEO Referenced.

A similar option for the Dynon requires a third party subscription for $99/yr.

True, but you can also buy the Lifetime Subscription for a few hundred bucks that Seattle Avionics usually does on "Black Friday" every year. You could update your databases and maps for life using that, which quickly pays for itself in a couple of years.

True, but you can also buy the Lifetime Subscription for a few hundred bucks that Seattle Avionics usually does on "Black Friday" every year. You could update your databases and maps for life using that, which quickly pays for itself in a couple of years.

Curious- Dynon or Garmin?

Curious- Dynon or Garmin?

Sorry!! I realize I didn't specify. Dynon units use Seattle Avionics chart and database information. They have offered the Black Friday Lifetime subscription for the past 3 or 4 years now and its usually priced around $299 to $399 and it offers access to their entire product line, chart updates, and online tools.

I bought it just to have lifetime access to FlyQ EFB (VFR and IFR) but it also included their updates, charts and databases for all their services (Dynon). So, that will likely have a heavy influence on the glass panel I go with.

Can you clarify that the $18,640 dual screen option replaces the $15,275 standard option for the Garmin. It's unclear on the order form, particularly when the order form on the Dynon clear states that the second screen option is $4,700?

The two order forms aren't consistent in their presentation and it's a little confusing.

I'm leaning Garmin, except I don't like the idea of Garmin's "closed" nature to apps.

Back