What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parachute recommendations?

dacronwall

Well Known Member
Getting closer to having my RV-3 back in the air. I promised my significant other I would get a chute...and it's not a bad idea anyway. I have flown with the Softie backpack style in the Decathlon, and also in the Pitts S2. Comfortable in both.

I am #180 lbs, and 6' tall. I have head room with the cushions, but I am set on a backpack style chute. Does anyone have a recommendation of style/model to best fit in the -3?
I have looked at Softie, National, and Strong chutes on line, I like the look of the Strong Acro-Pro, but have no direct experience with that brand. Ay advice???
Thanks
Dave Cronwall
[email protected]

We have a Mini-softie, packed so that there is more canopy in the lower portion, making it a more like a lumbar support. They made it to match our cockpit colors and with a sheepskin cover it is very comfortable.

I have Softies with the largest canopy as I weigh about 240. I have the sheepskin which is very comfortable year round. I also had them sew in a riser cutter so that if I were being dragged (I was a paratrooper, and know that it can be dangerous) I can cut the risers.

I have Softies with the largest canopy as I weigh about 240. I have the sheepskin which is very comfortable year round. I also had them sew in a riser cutter so that if I were being dragged (I was a paratrooper, and know that it can be dangerous) I can cut the risers.

These chutes don't come with capewell or some other sort of quick release?

thanks

You can add a capewell release(to jettison canopy), but I was told that they would dig into your shoulder because of the shoulder harness, otherwise I would have added them.

There are a lot of good parachute systems out there. In my opinion some of the manufacturers are more diligent in performing the testing necessary to meet FAA TSO-C23c

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...1A8B18FA46DB168786257A830054D117?OpenDocument

Manley Butler has a good overview of emergency parachutes relative to the subject in general and his companies products in particular here:
http://www.butlerparachutes.com/everythi.htm

As far as a canopy release mechanism I am not sure that it is acceptable to make such a modification to a system that has been approved under the TSO even for experimental use. If it is acceptable you may want to look into having the harness modified to incorporate a 3 ring release like the ones that are common on sport parachute main canopy release mechanisms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-ring_release_system

Most master riggers or container manufacturers could make this modification. It is lightweight, lays down in the harness, is a lot cheaper than new Capewell's, and is easy to maintain.

On a last note, not all of the manufacturers have the same level of final acceptance QA. I would suggest that you take whatever parachute you acquire (new or used) to a local master rigger that is not associated with the manufacturer and spend a couple of hours with him or her while you both inspect the full system. You will be more comfortable with the parachute you are sitting on and will learn a lot about a very interesting part of our aviation world and community.

Exit Drill

You'll want to develop and drill on an in-flight emergency "exit" routine. Exactly which hand, doing what, in what order, will get you out of the bird quickly and reliably. Would be interested in hearing more from others about that.

Who has done it?

Do we know anyone that has bailed out of an RV-3 (successfully)? I'd like to hear from someone that did it....

Do we know anyone that has bailed out of an RV-3 (successfully)? I'd like to hear from someone that did it....

I have never heard of an RV-3 bail-out, but of all the RV's, it would probably be the easiest. The canopy will be gone quickly if you unlatch it and push up just a little. Then exit.

You're right that if you expect this to work, you need to have a well-rehearsed procedure to fall back on.

RV-3 bail out

The RV-3 is hard enough to get into....getting out would be a problem, but having practiced it would be good. Mine is a 3a with a sliding canopy...it is one of the original Bakersfield planes so it is well built. I have seen posts about flying with the canopy slid back for ventilation, but have not tried it yet. I read that the pressure actually pushes the canopy closed, it does not rip it off like one might guess. Is that something anyone can comment on? Having it wanting to close would add complexity to the bail out.

Getting my legs out is the big problem, as I have the center tank, (no wing tanks). That makes it tight...but if I am going down...I will do everything I can to get clear. I have done a fair bit of acro in the Decathlon and though I fly it from the front, I have many times shuddered at the thought of trying to get out of the back of the Decathlon...not pretty either.

Thanks
Dave

Back