What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Non-reflective Panel Paint

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

As a child and later young adult, I remember riding in aircraft that had a black panel that had sort of a sandpaper consistency. It was non-reflective and looked really cool. Any idea what that was and if I can use it myself?

I orginally sprayed my panel a gloss black but really don't like it much. Any sugggestions?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

I used an Ultra Flat Black rattle can paint on my panel. It was branded as a Camouflage paint. It's not the sandpaper look you referred to.

I like the non-reflective aspect of the paint and the overall look but it shows dust more than most paint and it was hard to an even finish (maybe just poor painting technique). I don't think I would use it a again.

I think you can still buy "wrinkle finish" paint in a rattle can in most hardware stores. I don't know what process is necessary for them, but when I was much younger I recall my father painting the pieces of the panel from his Cessna 190, and then baking them in the oven afterwards... Resulted in a perfect wrinkle finish, non-reflective.

Wrinkle finish

I just painted my panel during upgrade and I used this.

Krylon Wrinkle Finish, BLACK

It's all in the prep and application. Spray one way, horizontal, vertical, and diagonal in coats thick and even enough to not run. It takes a couple hours to start to wrinkle if you don't use heat. It needs to dry a good 48 hours before its really tough.
Mine came out almost perfect and looks great.
I would post a picture but the texture just doesn't show up on screen.

Last edited:
I've finished a few panels using PPG DP90 epoxy primer.
It's black, has a matte finish, and is very hard. That's a big plus for me.
When my screwdriver slips off while working on the panel, NO SCRATCH!! :D

sandpaper consistency
If you're looking for the sandpaper type texture, as opposed to wrinkle, a good bet is Rustoleum Textured. It's a satin black color and is the can that has a picture of lawn or deck furniture on it. The cap will feel like the painted surface. Any Lowes or Home Depot will carry it. That's what my rollbar and slider frame are painted with. Really strong after about 2 weeks of cure and better yet, very easy to touch up if necessary b/c of its texture. In fact, for tiny dings, I've used a black sharpie with excellent results.

If you want something more durable I had my panel powder coated by a local shop with a crinkle finish black. Only cost about $30.

If you are getting paint supplied to spray through a gun and you need it matting down - just ask your supplier.

They add a matting agent at the mix stage, anything from 10% through 100%.

Our interior paint is 50% flat and shoots really well and has come out a really nice soft sheen with no reflections.

texture

I just applied rustoleum black texture paint on mine. I am satisfied.

bird

Tempo

..... I remember riding in aircraft that had a black panel that had sort of a sandpaper consistency. It was non-reflective and looked really cool. Any idea what that was and if I can use it myself?.....
Michael,

Applied over a base coat of Akzo epoxy primer, I used rattle can Tempo black wrinkle enamel purchased from Wicks:

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_detail.php/pid=417~subid=8646/index.html

The images don't do the actual texture effect justice but you should get the idea. To get printing to stick to the texture such as below the circuit breakers, I used dry transfers that were rubbed into the surface and then sealed with clear lacquer. I have always been pleased with the result.

bhj0cx.jpg

Last edited:
Great Ideas

Thanks, all for your suggestions. By photo, Rick's looks like the look I have been thinking of. I will experiment and see what works.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

The panel says...

Ditto on the nice panels!
I too like Rustoleum. Recently I needed to paint the glare-shield on my RVX as reflections were bugging me with the dark grey I had experimented with previously. All I had laying around was Rustoleum 1200F BBQ paint in flat black. Rather than drive 30 minutes into town, I prepped and sprayed the GS with BBQ paint with excellent results. It leaves a satiny slightly sandy finish (like a Weber grill) and laughs at summer temps, very low reflectivity and dries quickly. I checked and they have the same paint in light and dark grey. FYI...

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Rust-Oleum Multi Color Textured paint has a sand finish. I used it on my panel and am VERY pleased with the result. I tested Brother labelling tape on the panel for 2 years and it held fast.

Back