What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming metal dipstick tubes

jim plaster

Well Known Member
My aircraft and a customers ship both use the plastic oil dipstick tubes on the Lycoming io360a1b6...200hp angle valve engines . Anyone know of a metal tube for this application? These plastic tubes also use a short extension as well. I spoke with Superior Parts earlier and they only list the plastic tube for this application....thanks in advance.

A few years ago, during a visit to Oshkosh, I stopped by the Superior booth (tent) and noticed very nice looking metal dipstick tubes on their engines. In looking for one my O-360 AIA, I learned that the Lycoming ones were plastic and very expensive.

The Superior sales guy told me I could buy a Superior metal one, but no one could find a P/N for me to use to order. If you find a source, please post the details, as I would love to replace my plastic one (that I had to shorten and splice to fit under the RV-4 cowl).

There are several Lycoming tubes for wide flange O-360-A1A models.

This is the Superior metal one that Lycoming calls "intermediate" length - 10.57 inches long -

http://www.aircraft-specialties.com/tube-oil-level-sl75767/

It's also listed by Lycoming for your -A1B6 model, and the other option is a "long" length version - 11.57 inches long

The Lycoming short tube is listed as 6.32 inches long, is not listed for your IO model, and does not appear to have a Superior metal equivalent.

Last edited:
Thanks, Gil - Now, do they have a proper gasket that will retain the oil (and not need retightening )?

Last edited:
Dipstick tube

ill call in the morning about the long version. Heck if all else fails I'll just order the standard length tube and use the plastic short extension. Thanks Gil.

Thanks, Gil - Now, do they have a proper gasket that will retain the oil (and not need retightening )?

Yes, it's silicone rubber and made by Real Gasket - it's even certified...

rg-72059.jpg

RG-72059 - http://www.realgaskets.com/files/horizontal.htm

Look on ebay

ill call in the morning about the long version. Heck if all else fails I'll just order the standard length tube and use the plastic short extension. Thanks Gil.

Measure what you have - there is also a 78626 (superceded by 56C23075) tube listed as 15 1/8 long.

The parts manual says your model should not have the short extension part.

Don't know if this one would work but I have a SL75767 with the dipstick available for sale - never been used. PM me if interested.

Dipstick%20and%20tube%20(800x480).jpg

I have the metal tube from Superior and used a "Real Gasket". First time I completely eliminated leaks thanks to the gasket material.

Don Bodnar
RV7A

Be carefull when you safety-wire the tube. Due to the for and back motion when loosening an tightening the dip-stick, the safety wire at the tube to case connection, getts loose.

I safety wired mine in both directions, so thogether with the Real-Gasket is is absolutely dry now.

Dipstick tube safety wire

I second the recommendation for the "Real" gasket - works wonders. But, don't forget it is 1/8th" thick, and Lyc gasket is near 0 thick, so your oil levels will be a bit high.

Re-the safety wire and tightening the dipstick - my local A&P taught me a number of years ago that folks way over tighten the dipstick, leading to some of the leakage and back and forth issue. It turns out that the upper o-ring seal does not require very much tightening - just very gently tighten - and it will hold just fine. Try it!

Back