What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

25th Wedding Anniversary Trip to Hilton Head and Charleston

Flying again!

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Flying to Hilton Head (24-27 June) and then to Charleston (24-29 June?) to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary trip. I have Hilton Head sorted out (not much choice there) but am looking for advice for Charleston.

Because of the prices as KJZI (Charleston Exec) I am looking at KLRO or KCHS. It looks like KLRO will be a lot cheaper for fuel and no tie down fees but a little further to get to Charleston. Debating about getting a rental, may just Uber to the hotel and just walk or Uber from there.

Any suggestions/advice?

Am thinking about a trip to Kitty Hawk after Charleston.

Thanks in advance - TJ

My wife and I did a similar anniversary trip to Charleston, and chose LRO. We got an Uber, which was an easy trip and had the benefit of getting local insight from the the friendly driver on the 30ish minute trip to downtown. Once in downtown, no car needed. You'll want to walk off all the food you'll eat, anyways.

Chris

Used to live across from LRO yet hangared out west at DYB. LRO also opens the Isle of Palms/Dunes West via rideshare apps.

The run down to Battery King/Queen/East Bay street area is worth it, obviously, hope you have a blast!

RBW/DYB/MKS can tide over if there is a shower at LRO.
2000' multi towers 5 ENE of LRO if you tour the bays at all.

We used to leave KXNO after C-17 airdrops, VFR due east to the water and recover down the coast, over the Battery and Forts into CHS.

Apch is pretty busy, but will flight follow you for a tour/preview before you stop at LRO, if inclined. Sumter/Yorktown are easy, the Battery itself gets into the CHS 15 departure and 33 arrival corridors.

Last edited:
If you get time, swing through 3J1 and check out the projects. Tom of TS FlightLines is also based there.

Projects:
* RV-8 (stalled due to owner flying with Blue Angels)
* 85% scale Focke Wulf F190
* 50% scale Focke Wulf F190
* RV-4

Completed:
* F1 Rocket
* RV-8
* My RV-7A (now based at KLHW)

Visiting Charleston

If you decide to not rent a car, then taking uber from LRO is a good option. Parking downtown can be a PITA. Parking on most residential streets south of Broad is by residential permit only. In the city, parking meters are $2.00/hr, and parking garages during the work week are almost always full. Once downtown you have several convenient transportation options:

1. Uber
2. Bicycle Rental...there are commercial bicycle stands throughout the city. Use a credit or debit card to rent. Can return bike to any stand in the city. Negative...Charleston streets are not user friendly for bicycles so ride with caution.

if remaining on the Charleston peninsula, you can...
3. Ride CARTA for free (commercial bus)
4. Taxi...ride for a $5.00 flat fee.

Recommend going to the Charleston Visitors center on Meeting Street and take a city tour first. Then decide which sights are worthy of a return visit.

Water Taxi...take to Mount Pleasant at Patriot's Point to visit the USS Yorktown and a nice outdoor Vietnam War Exhibit. From downtown, pick up the water taxi at Joe Riley Park (aka Waterfront Park).

Please check with the hotel to confirm the above transportation options are still available.

Welcome to Charleston and Happy Anniversary!

Regards,

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. We are still deciding on the hotel/ Bed & Breakfast we want to stay at , but it sounds like a rental car would be a hassle.

Any suggestions on romantic places to eat?

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. We are still deciding on the hotel/ Bed & Breakfast we want to stay at , but it sounds like a rental car would be a hassle.

Any suggestions on romantic places to eat?

Skip the rental car. You can walk most anywhere.

Restaurants of choice (IMO) are Magnolias and High Cotton. There are dozens of really good restaurants in Charleston.

Two really neat B&B's are 2 Meeting Street Inn (this is a high dollar option) and The Ansonborough Inn, which is a converted warehouse.

The rooftop Library bar at Vendue and similar above Grill 225 were our favorites. Market Pavillion 225 East Bay, great 1130am Sunday Brunch.

Mills House was a staple hotel.

Sullivan's Island/Isle of Palms has lots of good eats and views.

Not cheap, but hard to go wrong anywhere in there.

Fleet landing and Hanks for seafood mid and upper notch.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. The plan now is to fly into KLRO and take an UBER into the city. Booked the Meeting Street Inn. We are looking forward to exploring the area.

Is the ferry to Fort Sumter and the Yorktown worth doing?

Sounds like we will need more than 2 nights there!

Is the ferry to Fort Sumter and the Yorktown worth doing?

Sounds like we will need more than 2 nights there!

My opinion is that the guided walking tours are the most informative and entertaining things you can do in Charlestown. The Yorktown and the fort are interesting, and certainly worth your time, but the historic district and the restaurants are the reason I go.

Must try Charleston's favorite recipe, She Crab Soup. Most restaurants offer it but the recipes do vary.

There are no shortage of outstanding restaurants all within walking distance. Another restaurant to place on the definite maybe list is to dine at 82 Queen.

https://www.82queen.com/private-dining/

Last edited:
Back