What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loctite 9460 Structural adhesive

NorthernRV4

Well Known Member
Wondering if anyone has used Loctite (Henkel/Hysol) 9460 structural adhesive in their build. There is a Just Aircraft Super STOL project at our airport and this product is used in some areas in combination with pull rivets to attach various steel brackets to alum members. In my -4 build I've used Proseal to bond (reduce movement due to vibration) the elevator skin stiffeners for example. 9460 would have been easier to use in this application. Has anyone else made use of it? The only downside I can see is that once cured, it's very rigid so if there is any flexing around the joint there could be some debonding.

I can see this product being useful for bonding the alum reinforcing strip to the inside of the fiberglass tips for example instead of regular epoxy.

I used the Hysol Blue (9360) for window adhesive on my RV-10. This is the standard adhesive for such applications on Lancairs. http://shop.lancair.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=9360-QT&CatId={992B7B06-E01B-4918-BB0C-79343CDB7869}
This stuff is amazingly strong but surface prep for application is critical. It is also brittle when cured so for non-glass applications it does not have much use in an RV. It is also very expensive. The jury is out on me ever using this stuff again.

I also used 3M Scotch-Weld epoxy (2216) instead of proseal for the control surface trailing edges and other items. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/cm/epoxy_3m/3mAdhesive2216.php

The Scotch-Weld remains flexible after cure, but for our applications pro-seal would work just as well - and I'll use that if/when I do another RV-10.

Carl

I have used Hysol and have a friend who used it extensively at Cessna. There is a great product from West system that, in my opinion, is as good if not better. The product is Gflex You can buy it in tubes and it comes in two forms, Thickened and standard. The thickened version is what I used to bond my hinges in my RV8 cowl.

West developed this product to deal with the expansion and contraction problems associated with bonding different materials that expand and contract at different rates such as aluminum and fiberglass. Ordinary epoxy can and will crack when temps change. It also solves the problem when just bonding aluminum to aluminum.

I spend a great deal of time the West System people discussing the product and how it would work on Aluminum. It turns out that one of the big uses for this product is repairing Aluminum boats.

Check it out, I think you will be pleased and it is defiantly a great product. I have a test sample in my shop and challenge skeptics to tear it apart.

EA9460 Used in Kitfox Construction

The Kitfox aircraft use the 9460 for the bonding of plywood ribs to the aluminum wing spars. When prepped correctly adhesion to both substrates is quite good. For bonding aluminum to aluminum would probably be desirable to maintain a .010" bond line thickness along with good surface cleaning prep beforehand.

When in doubt, read the data sheets.

Anything like 9460 or Gflex will be way stronger than polysulfide tank sealant.

So to bond aluminium to aluminium (Static port to skin) would either 9460 or G/flex do the trick? Don't plan on using rivets so it has to be strong, but still needs to be somewhat flexible so it don't crack with expansion ect.

A lot of EA9309.3NA is used in metallic jet repairs, sometimes just to fill gaps where deep corrosion was ground out.

Back