What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair Valve Fitting

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
So my beautiful but very expensive Andair fuel valve arrived from Van's yesterday.

The AN ports are aimed sideway and I would like to rotate them 90° so they point down. The four little screws are not attached and the fittings wiggle a bit but resists gentle efforts to remove them.

Am I correct in assuming that the resistance I feel is an internal 'O' ring and I just need to pull harder?

I'm very reluctant to use any undue force as this valve was sooooo expensive. (although $25 cheaper at Van's compared to AS)

valve.jpg

Last edited:
What Carl said.

Now that we have that established, perhaps I can ask if the handle comes off the assembly without the difficulty of springs and bearings falling out?

Last edited:
What Carl said.

Now that we have that established, perhaps I can ask if the handle comes off the assembly without the difficulty of springs and bearings falling out?

Sure does. Lift handle and remove screw and pull handle off. Reverse to reattach. Easy peezy.

_ZQrZ8J3VvVEADzbYhGF4DAmz75PQ9iaD5P4Px6BEtMPsjqgw2Khd3MxODpszDMWIYC69uG3zjwleYWF4W6KvUWWPM4lRHhoily6rA3jJDBB0FY7WU1uB5ICKHnvwmKZ1UNtwFM1mmgYUpqKiIeO9F1bLPFmPuokZ4szdnuz57wgduf_WaFYDOIzAym-oNd6tWGF5edmSjiImfsKxZmBJkaE2r6TFp47r83zDUy5jK5ORecsQQKM_GY3olumrAeSwlLWpaHjFtiDPTJqzjig16oYcdGiiti8J8QrtT7tig74djnX8ZeKtIplBLJNK1hfW5ZayPgfNu9fq-e7tW8KLLIzYARIWBGi0de576B7xsNO8O7QQGnWAxFrEYUwpgIDLwVnjXy8L7wJKQSMUHMWEJOUnXDqVEzxfuctoIbW8YcCCUm7d3VoUg8WC4Dt4I7vVMM218NhnaMVOwu8BSJYtsFrlX-2FzHliBRTU4y2Z_pwDB3AOq7TYpXqqkV_IIxcKA-laLR_CY4F0t6XA6NzNO7UV41eGUY1aICWpPW9MnnjfCx05zKhZPvQSPrwiQkxQAO6p2n3bpLgW1jlI8REL1tcBA-q4KigyHgKJ5g=w1262-h946-no

Ak38irSpOww4Y5sJMqEsjzeIgjPMVyohSOoy_QNGM-MuePKfYWp-9f5rsyIqbJJGeudkVMsmLNKbpoeidcsh_1r6b65JsQPtyd--FRmaFcCvPxOzyRq70dPU2t1Y9JfizWxrABK1PAzWYezedkB103rYyNvUdzK6q_UgOp4b0u9ct-QQUDYe4HimRZmq_vzl4ly4yDSQiIyBF5ul4pFzaLxYzIlShfhblE7Q2HQP2IKMgipdGfEMKrSRXyTLqp-EBgnw8X3PzqK1mpinELFLgABXJD9BtZTHszbBEKjmpg5Lvm57lhEzVOIesuBcb0e3_72g_Cqcfsy8qhZo3LzF7dq-mnLINIAvDa4Sq8ph1OeIMS9RLBNfELvp9u0lFqJSgscjuRHyMbEmjUNRI75AkZJu2qZN9sdj6FsWU9fG6L-qbsRDKk053yyYjE4chtBH-yq9MJ9DyZRVEn9bhXr4G9rJatdOJGJOAXN_oNay6vQg2qHYaboLLuh-Ionw468D3nmbFIK6yVt-LjpOTBMziRE9ZtTRWTiF9EIbRnRzkwFaWmiSBzKZrTt6TQNdkLhlr6mZ757Bk8xYroyk4Idrm5mw0K48b3ml7IcsqcE=w1262-h946-no

While you have the ports pulled out, you may want to add a little grease to the o rings to help prevent leakes. Half of my ports leaked past the o rings in the first 100 hrs and the grease appears to have stopped that. Not sure if it?s a permanent solution or how the o rings leaked in the first place. All the screws had been tight but the o rings were dry.

Bevan.

While you have the ports pulled out, you may want to add a little grease to the o rings to help prevent leakes. Half of my ports leaked past the o rings in the first 100 hrs and the grease appears to have stopped that. Not sure if it?s a permanent solution or how the o rings leaked in the first place. All the screws had been tight but the o rings were dry.

Bevan.

Mine just came pre lubed.

Bevan.

Mine just came pre lubed.

Yes, mine appears to be lubed as well.

I haven't pulled the fitting off yet (dang those 'O' rings are snug :eek:) but will make sure they are properly lubed before they go back together.

PS-were talking fuel lube not actual grease :cool:

This is a timely thread, as I am at the same stage.

Question: Where the 4 screws hold on each port, there is a little "divot" or punch mark on the edge of the screw hole. What is that for?

Question: Where the 4 screws hold on each port, there is a little "divot" or punch mark on the edge of the screw hole. What is that for?

The instructions have you punch these down to lock into place when orientation desired is achieved.

Thats the thing, it didnt come with instructions for that

It's been a long time, but I recall either the instructions including information on "peening" the fasteners, or it was via a service bulletin, but they put that info out at least 5 years ago somewhere...

If you notice, the other factory screws have this same indents but their screws have been peened to squish into those indents which lock them in place.

Peening is a age old method of locking a screw.

Here's the indents without the screws in place:

peen1.jpg

Now here's the screws in place and a small punch was used to deform a bit of the screw head into the indent thereby locking the screw:

peen.jpg

Just as an added bonus, here are the two tags that came attached to the valve. Locktite 648 is approved to use on the screws in lieu of peening (or stagged as the British call it):

tag1.jpg

tag2.jpg

With the screws fully tightened, use a punch to deform each screw's edge into its corresponding divot. It'll prevent the screws from backing out over time.

Back