What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly to Cuba

ferrerg

I'm New Here
Planning to fly to Varadero, Cuba February 19 - 23, 2017 from Marathon Key, Florida. So far we have a Mooney signed up. But we need, at least, one RV to fly with us because we are trying to set up regular experimental fly ins to Cuba. We have contacted the Cuban Aviation Club and they have offered to let us use the old Varadero airport (KAWAMA) for fly ins. We want to show the Cuban aviation authorities examples of experimental aircraft, like the RV.
The RV would need to be set up for IFR and the pilot has to be IFR rated as only IFR flights are presently allowed to fly to Cuba, by the Cuban authorities.
If you are interested please email me at: [email protected]
Incidentally, there have been many flights by general aviation airplanes to Cuba but very, very few experimental. So you may be able to set a record as, for example, as the first RVxx
In addition we are trying to have the Cuban aviation authorities authorize VFR with flight following instead of having to file IFR.

Good luck on the trip. FWIW there have been at least 10 US registered experimental airplanes that have flow to Cuba since 2015 that I personally know of. The first was an RV9A into Varadero during late October 2015. I flew my experimental KIS4 in to Havana on December, 4th 2015. I know of two females that flew an RV6 to Havana a few months ago. There have been several threads here about flying experimental to Cuba like this one:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=132229

My trip was part of an article that was reported on General Aviation News. You can read about it here.

Again, good luck and enjoy the adventure.

:cool:

Last edited:
.... because we are trying to set up regular experimental fly ins to Cuba.

In addition we are trying to have the Cuban aviation authorities authorize VFR with flight following instead of having to file IFR.

That will change the game of experimentals. Flash Mob Squadron of New England will be there as soon as VFR is allowed. :)

That will change the game of experimentals. Flash Mob Squadron of New England will be there as soon as VFR is allowed. :)

Yes it will.

FWIW I was working with a group to have them fly VFR into Cuba last November. We had all the permits, then Fidel died and everything was cancelled. I believe it will happen soon, just exactly when I don't know.

Yes it will.

FWIW I was working with a group to have them fly VFR into Cuba last November. We had all the permits, then Fidel died and everything was cancelled. I believe it will happen soon, just exactly when I don't know.

We are in no rush Galin. Do you think by a New Year's Eve things may improve? :)

Some key individuals for Cuba VFR

Roberto Brown Drake is the head of aviation security in Cuba.
Ernesto Efren is the President of the Cuban Aviation Club.
Arturo Ortiz is a consultant to Cuban aviation authorities.
Arturo will be flying with us on February 19 -23, 2017 and we hope to have a meeting with Roberto and Ernesto to propose VFR with flight following in place of IFR.
We could probably get VFR permits for a specific flight but our goal is to have blanket approval of VFR with flight following.

Cuba landing fees

FYI The landing fee in Havana for GA airplane is at least $1000. I have been in Cuba twice in the last year but nervousness about taking my RV 8 since it is painted to match US Air Force. Good luck!

We could probably get VFR permits for a specific flight but our goal is to have blanket approval of VFR with flight following.
I applaud that if you can get that done along with decreasing the landing fees and incorporating a cruising permit, as they do in the Bahamas.

Last edited:
FYI The landing fee in Havana for GA airplane is at least $1000. I have been in Cuba twice in the last year but nervousness about taking my RV 8 since it is painted to match US Air Force. Good luck!

Not in a small GA airplane. I have flown GA there twice and it has never been more than $500 total which included landing, parking, overflight, handling, 100LL, Customs, Visas, ATC services, and other. Now in a GV it might be since most charges depend on MGW of the airplane. You can read about our trips and costs in the Adventures section of our website www.puertoricoflyer.com

Roberto Brown Drake is the head of aviation security in Cuba.
Ernesto Efren is the President of the Cuban Aviation Club.
Arturo Ortiz is a consultant to Cuban aviation authorities.
Arturo will be flying with us on February 19 -23, 2017 and we hope to have a meeting with Roberto and Ernesto to propose VFR with flight following in place of IFR.
If you meet with Roberto and his staff tell him Galin and Anthony say "Hi". We have met with him several times in the past, but then he meets with lots of people. He is very interested in increasing GA flights in to Cuba, albeit in a way that doesn't overwhelm their capacity.

Last edited:
Cuba Landing Fees

Cuba Fees for private general aviation/experimental airplanes:
Government Handling Fee: $151.00, per airplane
Flight Dispatch Fee: $14.00, per airplane
Landing Fee: $4.89 x Maximum Takeoff Weight (MTOW) ~ Tons: $4.80 per ton
Parking Fee: $0.89 x MTOW ~ Tons: $0.89 per day
Aeronautical Services (file IFR flight plan): $80.00 per airplane
Customs Fee $48.00
Crew Tax $25.00 per crew member
Total: $327.25

There is also a $100.00 visa fee per traveler

Not sure where you got your landing fee information but it is wrong.

We'd love to have an RV8 fly with us !!

We'll be posting future flight dates.

But if you want to know how to fly to Cuba, email me and I'll send you a Fly to Cuba checklist. Then you can fly to Cuba whenever you want.

We want to dispel the mystery of flying to Cuba by private aircraft, specially for RV flyers.

Also I can give you the contact information for the Cuban Aviation Club and they will be glad to host you in Cuba.

Last edited:
Message for Roberto

Galin:

I'll be glad to pass on your message to Roberto.

You were my inspiration to fly to Cuba, thank you.

Back