What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

kate's first trip report: daddy daughter breakfast (documented through selfies)

rv9daughter

Hi everyone!

I'm new here to Vans, but definitely not to the airplane guy world. One day when I was seven years old, my dad (Pete Howell) decided that he wanted to build an airplane.

In our garage.

So. That happened.

Anyways, my name is Kate, I am the copilot and the favorite daughter, and when I am not flying with my dad my time is spent with coffee, puppies, and schoolwork. If you follow my dad's posts at all, you may already know me...

cuter_zpshtkyvsid.png

So this weekend my mom is out of town, which means two things:
One: thai food take out
and
Two: it's MY turn to go flying.

I even got up early for this-6:58 AM! That is what I call pure daughter dedication.... So bright and early, I prepared my carry on items, which today included my latest summer romance read, my pillow pet, and my princess Ariel blanket, then we headed out in the convertible for the hangar...not a bad way to start my weekend (also, things to know: my posts will be documented almost exclusively through selfies).

Snapchat--4454392082153253000_zps65tqevkk.jpg

It was a beautiful morning to fly and takeoff was spectacular. I documented with a selfie (okay, well really many selfies, but I am limited to ten so for the purpose of this post, a singular selfie):
IMG_20150725_083708457_zpsc98zgjpm.jpg

#Nature
IMG_20150725_081914980_zps6ros4gc0.jpg

Then once we're up high, dad does his thing:
IMG_20150725_080706705_zpsqnfoaeew.jpg

And I do my thing, which spoiler alert, is sleeping (and yes, I did in fact have a sleeping selfie, but I really need to pick and choose here, the 10 photo limit is really cramping my vibe here).

But I wake up about five minutes before we land to take some more selfies and a couple aerial shots.

IMG_20150725_080612800_zpsugsadsva.jpg

IMG_20150725_080638640_zpsf38ktgwc.jpg

there were some super low clouds really close to Olivia this morning!
IMG_20150725_083312741_zps4igazksu.jpg

Not your best landing, dad...not your best.
IMG_20150725_084001172_zpstddfr2ui.jpg

When we got to Olivia, not only was there coffee...but there was A PUPPY. I could live there, basically. Oh and it is the corn capital of Minnesota....they really womt let you forget that there. We ate at a cute little diner right across from the airport. Dad had a little bit of oatmeal, I had a lot a bit of coffee, and everyone was happy.

So that was today's adventure. And back home by 10:00, before most of my friends were even awake! Copilot Kate signing off, thanks for following along :)

Last edited:
IMG_20150725_080746744_zpsz0indgcx.jpg

IMG_20150725_084206895_zpshwgjsakm.jpg

kate, my favorite post this morning. ;) i wish i had a daughter to share my flying with but you are doing a great job with your dad here. nice to see you are using photobucket. hint; always add rv pics to your post, we love rv pics. :cool:
welcome to the vaf family.

just wondering if this is your dads biggest smile?
ac0f909a-1337-436f-ac64-6ca6ecab0b8d_zpsekkkcp1g.jpg

signing off with one of mine. you are welcome to enter my photo bucket too.
IMG_0400copy.jpg

kate, my favorite post this morning. ;) i wish i had a daughter to share my flying with but you are doing a great job with your dad here. nice to see you are using photobucket. hint; always add rv pics to your post, we love rv pics. :cool:
welcome to the vaf family.

just wondering if this is your dads biggest smile?
ac0f909a-1337-436f-ac64-6ca6ecab0b8d_zpsekkkcp1g.jpg

signing off with one of mine. you are welcome to enter my photo bucket too.
IMG_0400copy.jpg

Thank you for the warm welcome (and for adding my asleeep selfie)! Oops. Will dedinitely add more rv pics next time...I guess that is what the forum is for....

As to that handome picture of my dad, well....he is always ecstatic to have me documenting everything :rolleyes:

Also I don't know where that beautiful tropical paradise is, but I think I need to tell my dad that's where we are headed next! Great pictures.

i think kate wants to go here.............:cool:
IMG_1479.jpg

ps, kate, check my signature to see where my beach pics are from.

Welcome to VAF!

Hi everyone!

I'm new here to Vans, but definitely not to the airplane guy world. One day when I was seven years old, my dad (Pete Howell) decided that he wanted to build an airplane.

In our garage.

So. That happened.

Anyways, my name is Kate,

cuter_zpshtkyvsid.png

Kate----------
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF.

Very good to have you aboard.

Great post!

Nice post Kate!

I see you got your picture taking skill from your dad. I finally met him in person this year at Oshkosh.

Keep the posts coming!

Kate, good to see you on here! So, does your dad only let you "virtually" drive the Miata by reversing the image?......

Hi Kate,

So great to see you on VAF. And just think.... we still all remember you as a little toddler!!!!!!

Great post!

Welcome to VAF and congrats on getting your first post on the front page - no small task! :D I look forward to seeing your next adventure with your Dad - thru the perspective of the "selfie" :)

Nice post Kate!

I see you got your picture taking skill from your dad. I finally met him in person this year at Oshkosh.

Keep the posts coming!

Will do! I think I might need to steal his big fancy camera to get some fancy quality s̶e̶l̶f̶i̶e̶s̶ aerial shots soon...

Hi Kate,

So great to see you on VAF. And just think.... we still all remember you as a little toddler!!!!!!

Hi Doug!! Still not sure I'm doing this VAF thing right, but I'm liking it so I think you will all be seeing more of me :) And hey, I was still trying to fly the plane as a toddler...not much has changed!

Welcome to VAF and congrats on getting your first post on the front page - no small task! :D I look forward to seeing your next adventure with your Dad - thru the perspective of the "selfie" :)

Thank you! Everyone has been so so welcoming to the new little selfie poster, airplane guys are great. I had no idea about the front page, but that makes me happy! We want to go to Macinac island soon, so stay tuned this summer :)

Back