What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Tennessee

Places to fly in and eat? Chattanooga area?

Moved to Chattanooga recently and am looking for a place or two to fly out for breakfast/dinner with my daughter. This has always been our daddy daughter time since she was 3-4 years old.
I have been asking the locals and have come up with nothing close by. Maybe North Georgia.
Anyone?

Places I visit around the area

Pell City has a nice lunch/dinner place.

The Bonanza/Staggerwing Museum in Tullahoma is a fun trip. I'm not sure if there is food if there is not an event going on.

EAA breakfast at LZU Northeast of Atlanta is pretty popular. Very close by is Winder that has a great deli for lunch.

Hope this helps some.

Duke's at Clarksville (CKV - Outlaw Field)

Clarksville, TN has a nice little diner (Duke's) on the field in the terminal. Park at the FBO and there's a real friendly older guy that will give you a ride to the diner in the golf cart. Stopped in at the airport when I was visiting the area this summer. Really nice people there. Reminded me of those old diners you see in the Norman Rockwell paintings.

Airnav comments about Duke's

One review? I am sure it is still worth checkin out. As a pilot it is ones sacred duty! ;)
Thanks. Will post when I try it.

Tennessee Destinations...and a few Alabama ones, too!

Hi Aviator,
Try Winchester (BGF) on the first Saturday of the month. The EAA Chapter and the local High School Band Boosters always put on a good feed...plus there are lots of airplanes flying in on good VFR days.

Also, contact Shelbyville, (SYI) and Murfreesboro (MBT) for good breakfast flyins. I believe Murfreesboro's is on the 2nd Saturday and Shelbyville's is on the fourth Saturday, but call ahead to confirm.

And it's not too far from Chattanooga to fly to Moontown near Huntsville, Alabama on the third Saturday of each month. It's a grass field, so do your flight planning before you go. But on good weather days, there's always a good turnout there.

Also in North Alabama and closer to Chattanooga is the Fort Payne breakfast on the fifth Saturday of each month. Make sure to call before you go because I haven't been to this one in a while.

Tennessee does a good job of improving and maintaining their airport facilities. You can't go wrong on dropping in on any airport for a Saturday morning flight with your daughter.

Hope this helps.
Don
Still a Tennessean at heart!

Last edited:
Gatlinburg/Seiverville, TN

Fly into Seiverville. Tn Aviation Museum on the field. New helicopter museum in Pigeon Forge. More places to eat than I can list. Rent a car and drive thru the mountains.

Mucho gracias folks, I will travel with said l'il copilot and check 'em out. Now if it will just stay warm like today.... :)
Thanks

BarBQue, Beer, and Blues

Last night I came across some info on the Memphis in May BarBQue Championship. Looks to me like a great big BBQ festival on the banks of the Mississippi. And, of course, Memphis has great music. It will be held May 17,18,19 (thurs,fri,sat)
Anyone experience this before? Looks like Gen. Dewitt Spain Arpt. (MO1) would be the place to fly into.
If the weather permits, I will go. My plan would be to arrive by noon on the 18th, enjoy the festivities, then leave the morning of the 19th.
Any comments / suggestions?

Memphis In May BBQ Festival

The BBQ Festival is one of the largest in the country. You can now buy a ticket that allows you to sample BBQ from the different teams. Even thou I live here, I do not go near downtown during Memphis in May. Should you decide to come to Mud Island, TN for festival, send my a private message with your phone #. Our hanger is at Dewitt Spain and might be able to get your plane in it.

Thanks for all the replies. Have been following, but have heard not a whisper this summer.
Slowly begining to have some weekends off after the start of a new practice.

Clifton TN.

A friend of mine's brother is the manager of the Clifton, TN.
airport and he asked if I would put this information out. He just took
over control of the airport and is trying to do some good things. The
city is having a festival on the 8th of Sept. There is a Jack Nicholas
golf course close by that will provide shuttles for either golf or
lunch, activities will be held on the river and he is arranging some
static displays for the airport. Currently no fuel is available but he
will try to have some on the 8th. The closest airport is Savannah, TN
about 18 mi. SW. (SNH).
He would like for a bunch of planes to show up and support his
effort of improving the airport. I've attached the info he sent me.
Sounds like it may be a fun day.

Here are some of the things happening in Clifton on the 8th of Sept.
I also put in a business card from the Golf Course. Rated #1 in
TN. A Jack Nicolas course. http://www.beartrace.com/rosscreek
To get to the festival there will be a shuttle every 30 minutes. If
you wish to stay the night there is a place called the Bear Inn 931-676-
5552. You can look at it on the web at www.bearinns.com

Here is the web site for Clifton, TN.
http://www.cityofclifton.com/introduction.asp

At the airport we plan on having some hamburger/hotdogs, salad
etc. and we
are trying to bring in static displays evac helicopters and an
amphibious LSA.

I've only been at it for a few days, but I think the festival is
something to see. If you can spend the night and see the main event it would
be nice.

Savannah / Shiloh National Military Park

If you're in the area, borrow the Savannah, TN airport courtesy car and drive over to the Shiloh National Military Park for an afternoon. You can see where Gen. U.S. Grant almost had his *** handed to him in the spring of 1862, attacked before he had all his troops brought up and offloaded from boats on the Tennessee River. He ultimately won the 8-day battle, and went on to Vicksburg, Appomattox, and the White House.

Wait for cooler weather. Very pretty in the fall. Stop in Savannah on the way and pick up KFC for a picnic.

Good eating places TN

Houston County(M93) on the Tennessee River has a great restaurant just up from the west end of the field - Southern Air. Crowd from Nashville goes down once or twice a weekend Sunday morning between 8:30 & 9:00 every week.

Shelbyville(SYI)/Bell Buckle. 14 miles from Tullahoma (THA)and the Beech Museum(Beech Party coming up in Oct - second week). Take the loaner from Shelbyville five miles down the road to City Cafe in Bell Buckle. Fried Pork Chops are killer - great little town to visit on a Sat afternoon. Shelbyville also has th cheapest gas around.

The State Parks in KY are good - Rough River, KY Dam State Park, Lake Barkley - all have the same food but all are fun places to visit.

Owensboro KY - Moonlite Barbeque - watch your weight and balance on the way home!

Shelby Smith
Nashville, TN

Houston Co (M93) - McKinnon, TN

This airport is about 23 miles east of Paris, TN, just off of Kentucky Lake, and is a great place to stop for lunch. No lights on the runway. Land at the airport then walk down the access road just out the gate to the west end of the runway and up the hill to the right. Here you'll find The Southernaire Motel & Restaurant. They have very good service and food. We ordered off the menu (Ruben sandwich with fries) when we went. They also have a buffet but I'm not sure what the hours are for it. If you want to call before going the number is (931) 721-3321. http://www.airnav.com/airport/M93

Nellie's Hanger (KDYR) Dyersburg, TN

Restaurant on the field
Nellie's Hanger, it is open M-F 6am-2pm, Friday night 5pm-9pm, Saturday 6am-1pm. It is a great place to eat if your flying thru that area or just looking for a place to fly to. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDYR

Smokie Mountain Cabin

I have a rental cabin in Townsend, Tennessee. It is located 4 miles from the entrance of The Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Pictures and location information can be seen @ acabininthemountains.com. If interested you can email me @ [email protected] or call 423-494-8333. A special rate of $80.00/nite will be given to those who mention this post. Possible trade for time at other vacation destinations.

Tommy Rutherford
RV9A 70% N924TR(reserved)
Grumman AA5 N7351L

Last edited:
D-Day WWII Memorial Event Lebanon (M54) 6/7-8/08

Gates open at 10:00 a.m. Saturday and Sunday June 7th & 8th ,free to the public, on the west side of the Lebanon Municipal Airport immediately behind Home Depot. Opening ceremonies at 11:00 a.m. Saturday with events through 5:00 p.m.. Sunday, opening events will commence at 12:00 p.m. and continue through 5:00 p.m. Food and drinks will be available from vendors on site. WWII aircraft from Basic, such as the Boeing Stearman PT-17, through advanced fighters , such as the North American P-51 and Republic P-47 will be on display both days. We will have the Dixie Wing of the Commemorative Air Force's P-51 Mustang on site both Saturday and Sunday for rides. Nonevent fly-in traffic will park on the grass runway which is on the East side.

Randy Hooper

Elizabethton

Don't forget about 0A9. A great 4500' paved strip nestled in the foothills of the smokies. 100 LL along with friendly FBO staff, and a great view of the mountians are all great reasons to go. Make to cross the road by the FBO and get a milk shake at Betty's Burger Hut. It's well known in the area for burgers as well!

Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge Airport GKT Visit

I wanted to post of review of the Gatlinburg (GKT) warbird museum from this weekend. I wanted my wife to see the fall colors so we hopped in the RV and headed to Gatlinburg, TN on Saturday. It took about 50 minutes from West Georgia and was a beautiful flight. The on field museum is great and we had a personal tour from a volunteer (Ray Farawell). It costs $12.50 per person admission and is worth it. They have a Mig 21, Mig 17, F-86, Skyraider, a nice pair of P-47s, a fully restored Albatross seaplane courtesy of Red Bull, and a few others. Here a few pics for you to enjoy.
P-47:
2mfabuf.jpg
[/IMG]

Mig 17:
2ii8rjb.jpg
[/IMG]

P-47:
3144keo.jpg
[/IMG]

Other P-47:
14lkh9s.jpg
[/IMG]

F-86:
vzvjh5.jpg
[/IMG]

Skyraider:
ezmtc1.jpg
[/IMG]

29RV (the best for last):
2it5s82.jpg
[/IMG]

Bruce,
Is there not an event going on this weekend as a Veteran's Day Rememberance and fly-in? (Perry)

Glenn Wilkinson

Dayton, TN

Flyin breakfast on the third Sat. each month. Good crowd, great food, very close to Chattanooga.

Savannah, TN

I can recommend the Savannah, TN airport (SNH) if you are visiting the Shiloh Military Park.

Call ahead to arrange a $30/day rental car from the local used car dealer - "just leave it at the airport and leave the cash in the glove box"...:)

Friendly staff, reasonable fuel prices and no tie-down fees. Great catfish near the park - Savannah claims to be the "Catfish Capital of the US".

The visit to the Shiloh battlefield is quite a sobering experience.

Lost Sea at KMNV

Took the family to KMNV in Sweetwater TN on Saturday to see "The Lost Sea". It is a 4 acre lake in a cave. May not be the biggest cave but it is cool to go on an boat ride on the largest underground lake in America. They picked us up at the airport and were very nice. If you are looking for something different in a destination this may be it.

The Lost Sea

It might be interesting to know that the family that owns the Lost Sea are aviators! The father and his son flies a Piper Twin Commanche! Very aviator and family friendly.

Mark

Back