What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: New Mexico

Santa Teresa: War Eagles Museum

Located just west of El Paso, TX. Fine collection of aircraft (Corsair, Lightning, Mig, Warhawk, etc...

Taxi right up to the museum (centered in this sat image).

Last edited:
Raton, NM: The best people/FBO on the face of the earth.

Sounds like hype? I dare you, drop in on Raton, NM, and tell me I lie. Fern will have the cookies in the oven when she hears you call in on Unicom. If you're lucky, they will be cleaning out the freezer, and you'll get a BBQ lunch, on the house. (We couldn't let that happen, so the coffee kitty (not Gizmo, that's the other kitty) got a real boost on the way back from LOE.
Seriously, I've been flying for over 25 years, and this is the closest to flying heaven I've ever been. Check out the photo books in the FBO, everybody that's anybody is in there, get your picture taken and be somebody. As an added incentive, it's practically walking distance from the NRA Whittington Center. Shoot something, you'll feel better.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Los Alamos

The airport at Los Alamos is worth the trip by itself; no tower; west in only; east out only; Avis rental cars at the terminal. When I used to go there on business I landed at Albuquerque (comercial) and drove up but I did plan one fly-in for the old Flying Club at John Wayne and I did get to land there. It is a small town that lives to support the Los Alamos National Laboratory but it has a nice museum covering the development of the atomic bomb during WWII and many other points of interest in the nearby area. There is a large valley west of the town that was once the site of a very high mountain that mother nature decided to redeposit over the surrounding states in a massive erruption. The only evidence that it was not always this peaceful bowl shaped valley is a sign by the side of the road. South of the town but still in the mountains there is a park with an indian history (homes carved into the side of a cliff, etc.). Drive back down off of "the hill" and turn south at the main highway and you will soon be in Sante Fe with all of its special charm. If you go north Taos is not too far and it is also a charming town. If you continue farther north there is an impressive scene where a bridge crosses over the deep narrow gorge cut by the Rio Grande. Farther north there was and hopefully still is a tourist train that runs up across the border into Colorado. I believe the terminal city in New Mexico is called Chama. New Mexico is called the Land of Enchantment and for me at least it has a special feeling everytime I visit it.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Deming,NM

Deming, NM (KDMN) is a great place to fly in. Approx. 60 miles west of El Paso. Old WWII bomber training base, so has intersecting long runways. $3.60 100LL. Friendly FBO (Tony or Mike) will call La Fonda Hotel/Restaurant van for you and it can pick you up at your airplane. Good food and good inexpensive lodging.
Rent a car and drive 35 miles south to Columbus,NM and visit the Pancho Villa Museum and NM State Park. Great camping. Continue 3 more miles to Palomas, Mexico and visit "The Pink Store". Quality 'tourist' stuff from all over Mexico, live music, great atmosphere, and great food/margaritas. You'll love it!! A long line coming back into U.S. is 2 or 3 cars; or you can park on the U.S. side and walk five minutes across the border. The Pink Store will even bring you back across to your car in their pink golf cart! Go once and you will return! If you're really adventurous, there is even a dirt landing strip next to a cattle stockyard on the American side directly across from Palomas (505-531-2621). El Pasoans 'fly & eat' there quite a bit.

Last edited:
Most of you know of this one, but KAEG at Double Eagle, west of ABQ, has a small cafe above the FBO.

Taos What to do

My wife and I are planning a week in Taos NM the first week of June 09

What are the must see spots in the area.

Tad Sargent
7A TeamRV

Earthships

If you're in Taos, drive out west to "the gorge", just a few miles out of town. That's a beautiful sight, you never know what you might see...then keep going another couple of miles and visit the
'Earthship" (google that) community on the right...there's a visitor center and a bunch of homes built of recycled materials. I built one...hard to describe here, so since you're going to Taos, go see 'em! Other than that, take a drive up the canyon toward the ski area and there's tons of art galleries and museums, lots of local color and good food! I'm jealous...

Going to Moriarty, NM (0E0) in June for a gliding encampment. We're taking TSA's duo discus (high-performance 2-seater) over for some cross-country training. Will come back with a report, but would appreciate hotel recommendations. City of Moriarty says that the new terminal building is complete, crosswind runway is funded, and an AWOS is coming.

TODR

You won't be disappointed. That is some of the most beautiful country around. The Gorge Bridge is certainly worth seeing. If you are the adventurous sort, there are raft rides down the river. Head over to Red River (~35miles away), bit of a tourist trap, but beautiful little town and the drive through the canyon alone is worth it. There is great trout fishing all around as well as several golf courses. You can rent ATVs/and jeeps all over the place and there are great trails throughout the area. Some of my favorites are Goose Lake in Red River and Cabresto Lake outside of Questa neither of which is too difficult to reach. Several places also have horseback riding. Stop in and get a cinnamon roll at Michaels in Taos. If you like history, the Kit Karson museum is a decent stop. The Pallisades in Cimarron canyon is also an awesome sight. Plenty to do around the area, just ask some of the locals.

Going to Moriarty, NM (0E0) in June for a gliding encampment. We're taking TSA's duo discus (high-performance 2-seater) over for some cross-country training. Will come back with a report, but would appreciate hotel recommendations...
Doug, you don't say what dates. The 1-26 Championship and World Class Championship are being held 6/22 - 7/1. That along with a shooting contest may pretty well fill up the motels in the small village of Moriarty. Albuquerque is always an option.

That having been said, I just got my 1-26 Association Newsletter and they list four Moriarty motels they say are good:

Holiday Inn Express Moriarty 505-832-5000
Super 8 Moriarty 505-832-6730
Comfort Inn 505-832-6666
Days Inn Moriarty 505-832-4451

Expect the soaring weather to be spectacular (bring your oxygen equipment)!

Just wondering if anyone has been into Whiskey Creek 94E (Silver City) airport in Silver City NM?

I'll be flying out of Tucson AZ and want to take my sweetie (non-pilot) on a little flight. Not too far, maybe with something to do at the destination etc. for a day trip this Friday.

Just wondering if anyone has been into Whiskey Creek 94E (Silver City) airport in Silver City NM?

I'll be flying out of Tucson AZ and want to take my sweetie (non-pilot) on a little flight. Not too far, maybe with something to do at the destination etc. for a day trip this Friday.

I fly in and out of there often, as Silver City is my home town and much of my family still lives there. The runway has a pretty steep slope, so you generally land north and take off south. It's across the prevailing winds, but is usually fine. If winds are high you may want to divert to Grant County which is about 25 miles out of town. There is no fuel, but there are tie downs on the ramp. The mechanics there have been the same for 20+ years and will keep a good eye on your plane. The used to "let" me fuel airplanes for them when I hung around during high school.

For airborne sightseeing, you can look at the Santa Rita pit, which is a very large open pit copper mine. The twin sisters to the N are interesting--two peaks with a white talc bridge between them. All of the Gila is nice to look at, but can be remote and unforgiving in case of a mishap.

When I checked a few...

It's a nice little airport. You'll probably have to arrange transportation as they don't have anything there.

...years ago (while driving) there wasn't even a taxi service in town.

Does anyone know if that is still the case?

Acro, depending upon flight duration, you could have Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Carlsbad Caverns to name a few.

Slow flight

I'll be doing this all in a friends borrowed 152 (with a CL prop) so we won't be setting any speed records. It looks like Whiskey Creek is a tiny hike to town. I wonder what "tiny" will feel like in 90F temps. :)

If y'all have any other destination suggestions out of marana I'm all ears. Silver City was what first popped into our heads.

Back when I had a good traveling airplane, I always enjoyed flying into all the little airports with unique little restaurants. Or airports with towns within walking distance that had cool eatery's
I haven't gotten to do that in some time and tomorrow may be my only opportunity for a while as this 152 is flying North for the summer without me.

Thanks for all the tips.

Last edited:
This is on my list...

I'll be doing this all in a friends borrowed 152 (with a CL prop) so we won't be setting any speed records. It looks like Whiskey Creek is a tiny hike to town. I wonder what "tiny" will feel like in 90F temps. :)

If y'all have any other destination suggestions out of marana I'm all ears. Silver City was what first popped into our heads.
Thanks for all the tips.

...for a trip.

"Standing on the Corner in Winslow, Arizona"....:)

...with an overnight visit here...

http://www.laposada.org/

I was told they will pick you up at the airport.
We tried for one Thanksgiving, but they get booked up months in advance for that weekend.

94E

Now I can't get that song out of my head. Maybe we shold have gone to Winslow after all.

We flew out to 94E and true enough they don't currently have fuel. I called ahead and they said the FBO is changing ownership and after that is all done they will have fuel. There is no taxi service per se. They have some sort of currier service but it didn't run yesterday until 1730.

We had our hiking shoes on and set off for town. By the time we got to the main road at the bottom of the hill we opted for the closet place for some shade and water and hiked back up the hill. It was about 2.5mi walk n each direction.

Fired up, headed to Grant Co for fuel and back to Tucson. Next time out, we'll take the very sound advise and pre arange transportation.

Thanks for the info again everyone.

A kind of out-of-the-way place is 1N1 - Sandia Airpark Estates, an airpark about 30 sm east of Albuquerque actually in the town of Edgewood. There's Katrina's East Mountain Grill that the locals patronize just down the road near the airpark. You can park your plane at 1N1, call 505-281-9111 and they will send a car to pick you up and take you back. We're locals, so of course think their food is great!

KatrinasEastMountainGrill.gif

Another (and this time a really out-of-the-way) place is N17, Vaughn Municipal Airport, about another 50 or so miles SE of 1N1. There's this almost brand new airport practically in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no facilities! But, there's Penny's Diner about a mile away in the town of Vaughn. If you call before landing (since there's practically no cell phone service available once on the ground at the airport!) 575-584-8733, ext 401, someone will drive a courtesy shuttle right out to your plane to take you to the Diner and also bring you back.

Both these places are good for a little "adventure" and good food.

Cavern City KCNM

Carlsbad, NM cool hot place. Located about 1.5K nautical miles west of NYC. A must to visit. Runway quantity equals KJFK's.

carlsbad1.jpg

By the time you get to the fuel pump you will be greeted by at least two RVators. I was taken to the town for lunch and didn't pay a dime. They didn't pay either because the bill was taken care of prior by wife of an RV-10 owner.

Tie downs are nice.

carlsbad2.jpg

There is a terminal and a fancy FBO on the field. Go to the terminal the manager is building RV-9A.

carlsbad3.jpg

Then go up for a tour. I was lucky to have a guide. Rev. Mike (bought flying RV10) gave me an incredible excursion via Guadalupe Range. We circled famous caverns. Disclaimer; yes we knew the rules and fully complied.

carlsbad4.jpg

Climbed to see a remote ranger's station and a science lab.

carlsbad.jpg

Flew some picturesque slopes and a water fall (almost dry this time)

carlsbad5.jpg

drywaterfall.jpg

On departure end some artistic pieces are on display.

leavingcarlsbad.jpg

Great place to visit. Thank you very much Rev. Mike if you are reading this. Come to our place we have own stone jungles.

Back