What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help, Stuck Die Set

TimR

Apparently, the tension ring on one of my dies needed to be crimped down a bit more, but I didn't realize this until now that the die is stuck in my Isham pneumatic squeezer. I've been pulling on it, trying to pry pry it up a bit, nothing.
Thoughts?

Fixed or movable jaw?
Is there a through hole in the fixed jaw you can punch through?
Is it possible remove the pins holding the yoke on the squeezer? If yes will pulling the yoke set off the squeezer pull the set off the movable jaw?
Is it possible to unthread the movable jaw from the squeezer. If yes can you then take a long punch and drive the set out from the back?

Do you own any 'flush cutting' diagonal cutters? (Most tend to call them 'side cutters', but that's a different animal.)

Just put the jaws between the base of the die and the jaw, & squeeze gently. Don't go far enough for the cutting surfaces to contact the stem of the die (more a danger to the cutters than the die).

I still have to do that with mine occasionally, after a couple of decades of use.

Charlie

It it is an adjustable set holder try getting a wrench on the holder then use padded vise grip to break the die free

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. The stuck die is on the moveable side, so no through hole. I had thought of removing the yoke, I'll give that a try. I know I'll get it out, I just don't want to do any damage to the tool or the die in the process.

If it is adjustable set, activate the squeezer and while it is out, adjust the set all the way back. When you release, the plunger will go farther back into the yoke releasing the set.

Back