What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting a rocket ready for cold weather.

Gt-401

We took the rocket up into the Colorado mountains this weekend, and this was our first flight in fairly cold weather. We went up the 13000 too clear the pass, and it got Down to 10 deg F. For a while, and my wife got cold in the back seat. We will fly the rocket more in the winter than summer, so I am wondering what can be done to seal it up a little better. The heater seems to blow out a lot of heat, but it just doesn?t make it to the back seat.

We added electric seat heaters to ours front and back, it helped my wife deal with the cold, I do not complain either. We purchased them through amazon.

Cold air coming from the tail

I put seat warmers in the RV-4 I had before. But it seems like this plane is pushing cold air into the cockpit from the tail. Is there any way to draw the warm air in the front, into the back?

My Rocket throws a lot of cold air down my wife's neck. A tight skirt (on the canopy, ahem) helps a bunch, as does a scarf, a blanket, and in our case, electric vests and insoles. We have no other heat source and it's manageable. Much like Adam's wife, mine also thinks "cold" is anything less than 70 degrees.

Keeping a drafty, aluminum box warm in the winter is a tough one, no two ways about it.

Blake has several seat heaters here.

The orange ones have a tough nylon shell that is waterproof and also helps protect the unit from damage, i.e. when you step in the seat.

The white ones work great too!

They are easy to install, draw only about 6-7 amps total, and will help keep the wife happy. 'nuf said!

Back