What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Flow Transducer problems

n518jh

For about a year my fuel flow reading on my Dynon 180 shows very low to zero GPH. Someone not too recently commented that he took his transducer apart, when he had that problem, cleaned it and it seemed to return to normal flow recording.
Has anyone checking this thread done that, and how hard is it to do? Mark

I have done it 3 times I think - -

Just remove it and fill it 3/4 full of carb cleaner. Shake it as hard as you can for maybe 2 - 3 minutes. What I found last time is, after you dump it out, fill it 3/4 with WD-40 and shake it some more, then flush it with starter fluid and blow it out by mouth. Put a clean cloth over end to avoid a bad taste in your mouth. Mine has worked for months now perfectly. If it is very quiet where you are, you should be able to hear the wheel spinning inside. If it stops very quickly, you may need to repeat.

John's approach is worth a try. Can't take a red cube (EI FT-60) apart without destroying it.

Regarding the Dynon D-180 fuel pressure, mine shows something like 17 gph with the electric fuel pump on while flying and when I turn it off it seems to go down to the expected gph. Is that normal?

JP Pilot, Thanks for the advice on cleaning the Fuel Transducer. I'll try it when the fuel tank is close to empty. I assume there is no shut-off from the fuel tank. Mark

Regarding the Dynon D-180 fuel pressure, mine shows something like 17 gph with the electric fuel pump on while flying and when I turn it off it seems to go down to the expected gph. Is that normal?

Normal if the cube is between the electric pump and the engine driven pump.

Not normal if between the servo and the flow divider.

Mark -

Shutoff is before flow sender. Don't have to drain it. Shut off flow, drain gascolator, pull sender.

Found the electric fuel pump right beside the left rudder pedal where the fuel tanks come out of the wing and from that pump it goes with stainless steel hose through the firewall. I didn?t take the cowling off so I suppose the cube is between the two pumps.

JB Pilot, Thanks for that information

I have the plane apart for Annual Condition Inspection, so its a good time to look into this. Mark

Dan is correct but he used sort of a double negative. The quote, which is not normal operation, is normal in his answer.

So, if the cube is between the electric pump and the engine pump, the measurement can be wrong, sometimes.

Between the servo and divider it will be right, always.

Last edited:
Back