What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standby Alternators

I would like to include a standby alternator into my electrical system for the RV10. The primary alternator included in the kit is the 60 Amp Plane Power alternator and that is what I have. I am aware of the B&C 462-H standby alternator and the 30 Amp Plane Power standby alternator. Does anyone have experience with either and are there any particular advantages or disadvantages of one versus the other?

I just installed a B&C 410H unit on my new engine. It seems like a nice, compact, well built unit. Make sure you order the special tool at the same time to reach the one nut that is towards the oil filter. It wasn't that easy even with the tool so I wouldn't suggest trying it without the tool. B&C sells them.

Weinstall a lot of the B&C standby alternators. The advantage is that you can adjust the output voltage as it has an external regulator that is adjustable. The disadvantage is that you have to mount the regulator.
To me it is well worth it, especially for the lithium-ion and odyssey batteries as you can adjust the output to better match the battery.

Most of the standby alternators are set to come on around 13 volts, so you really don't have to install a switch. They will begin to carry the load after the main alternator fails and the bus voltage drops below 13 volts. Initially you will think the standby is not working, as amps will read zero for a quite a while after the main alternator fails (or you turn it off for a test). Also, the standby alternators will not output anything until you are around 1500 RPMS, so again there is a chance to be fooled if you don't wait for the bus voltage to drop.

My preference is to set the standby voltage around 13.8 and the primary alternator around 14.2-14.4.

Vic

I've got the PlanePower FS-1 as my backup and have been happy with it. Truth in lending I did have one issue -- the main case separated from the adapter base and Hartzell/PlanePower replaced it under warranty (with a new with redesigned case that eliminates this problem) even though it was a couple of years old.

alternator

I have the BC410...I wanted to use the BC462 but I have an Airwolf remote oil filter system. I found that the BC462 will not clear the Airwolf adapter that is bolted to the case...

I installed the BC410-H standby alternator on my RV-10 with the Van's standard IO-540 engine. Per discussion with B&C support folks, I installed it with their right angle oil filter adapter and their drive extension. I installed all of this before mounting the engine, which made it reasonably easy to do. It would have been much harder to do this after then engine was mounted to the airframe. Even with the engine not mounted, I still had to remove the mags in order to reach all the mounting bolts for the install.

So far, I am happy with the B&C system. But I am still early in Phase 1, so don't have a lot of run time yet to prove up the system.

Just to chime in on the oil filter configuration. I did have to use my right angle adapter with a 0.75" spacer. Longer spacers do interfere with the B&C 410H at least but I suspect other alternators as well.

Back