What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Pitot AOA airspeed calibration

KayS

Well Known Member
Hi All, i have the Dynon pitot tube with AOA and tried to calibrate it. The pressure (or better vacuum) hose of the measuring equipment gets connected to the pitot tube. So far so good. But what should be done with the second lower opening for AOA on the pitot tube? Should that one be closed with tape or so? Background is that my skyview did show weired readings when the hose was put over both openings.

Best Regards from Germany
Kay

Kay,
The Dynon Pitot tube has 2 lines. The forward line is pitot pressure, the aft line is AOA sensing. These lines are connected to their respective ports on your Dynon equipment. Depending on your hardware, they will either connect to the ADAHARS, or to the rear of your PFD.

Hi All, i have the Dynon pitot tube with AOA and tried to calibrate it. The pressure (or better vacuum) hose of the measuring equipment gets connected to the pitot tube. So far so good. But what should be done with the second lower opening for AOA on the pitot tube? Should that one be closed with tape or so? Background is that my skyview did show weired readings when the hose was put over both openings.

Best Regards from Germany
Kay

You cannot calibrate the AS.
When doing a P-S check I generally connect the AOA with static but you can connect it to the Pitot as well if you're using a tube over the pitot mast, no harm doing it either way..

Kay,
I misunderstood your post. Sounds like you are trying to perform a Pitot static test. The Dynon equipment has a specific procedure for their equipment. My radio shop had a similar problem trying to test my RV-7. After following the Dynon procedure, it worked out just fine. FYI they taped over the AOA hole on the bottom of the Pitot tube.
Here is the procedure:

[![Screenshot-20200411-085704.jpg](https://i.postimg.cc/xdhFXbpR/Screenshot-20200411-085704.jpg)](https://postimg.cc/R31T8qB6)

Last edited:
Kay,
I misunderstood your post. Sounds like you are trying to perform a Pitot static test. The Dynon equipment has a specific procedure for their equipment. My radio shop had a similar problem trying to test my RV-7. After following the Dynon procedure, it worked out just fine. FYI they taped over the AOA hole on the bottom of the Pitot tube.
Here is the procedure:

[![Screenshot-20200411-085704.jpg](https://i.postimg.cc/xdhFXbpR/Screenshot-20200411-085704.jpg)](https://postimg.cc/R31T8qB6)

The above is the old procedure, current software allows you to put the system in test mode so you no longer have to do the tedious 'on/off' procedure when running the altimeter test.

The above is the old procedure, current software allows you to put the system in test mode so you no longer have to do the tedious 'on/off' procedure when running the altimeter test.

Walt,
I have Dual Dynon ADAHARS, will the new procedure work using my AFS 5600T units?
Thanks

Don't forget that the pitot has a small drain orifice out the back as well - it won't hold pressure unless that is blocked, if your technician is trying to get that to happen.

great inputs guys! thank you. will try again next week... if the maintainance shop didn't close due to all the stuff that is going on.

...... if the maintainance shop didn't close due to all the stuff that is going on.

Made me think a little (and sometimes that hurts), Walt, how's business in the city with the stay at home order in DFW? Has it slowed down, ramped up, you taking time to get training or get paperwork up to speed? Of course not looking for any trades secrets, just curious how life is going because out here in East Texas I get DFW local channels and I've been watching that weird looking Dallas County Judge on TV.

Made me think a little (and sometimes that hurts), Walt, how's business in the city with the stay at home order in DFW? Has it slowed down, ramped up, you taking time to get training or get paperwork up to speed? Of course not looking for any trades secrets, just curious how life is going because out here in East Texas I get DFW local channels and I've been watching that weird looking Dallas County Judge on TV.

Although I've noticed a big decline in the traffic at the airport, I remain swamped with work.
The RV crowd is a dedicated group and obviously want to be ready to get back it the air asap :D

Although I've noticed a big decline in the traffic at the airport, I remain swamped with work.
The RV crowd is a dedicated group and obviously want to be ready to get back it the air asap :D

That's great ! TV's been saying that even doctor's office visits are slowing down, even though people are sick, because they're scared of getting infected which could be worse.

Back