- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2020, 07:22 AM

Default Importation costs - used RV

We are looking at used RV's in the USA and would like any advise on the importation into Canada regarding costs, process and paperwork.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:57 AM

Default sure

I can help you with that. Done it many times both directions. FYI the process seems to vary a bit so be prudent and stay in discussions with FAA and MDRA as far as what they require. Don't annoy them but stay engaged.

1. Airframe must have more than 100 hrs flying time

2. Buy it and import it into Canada. I use Pacific Custom Brokers - great to deal with. Pre-inspection etc up to you.

3. Fly it across border once Pacific paperwork is done. FYI if you don't have a US pilots licence you'll need someone else to be PIC

4. Pay GST

5. Get the previous owner to contact FAA and 'de-register' the aircraft in the US. Highly recommend doing all paperwork via overnight courier unless you want more delays.

6. FAA will send you a letter saying its de-registered. Now you can start the Canadian registration process

7. Apply for CofR. Once you get it contact MDRA and request an import inspection. Discuss with inspector what he needs from you specifically because I do find it varies a bit.

8. Once inspection done you'll get CofA in mail

When in doubt contact these guys:
http://www.md-ra.com/en/

Its takes a bit of time to re-register and register - expect at least a month but its not bad.

Enjoy!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGQ..._as=subscriber

Steve "Stu"
Cold Lake, Alberta
7A #70015 - C-FZQX - built - sold
7A #71629 - C-FSIS - built - sold across Atlantic
7 #70215 - C-GOJU - flying - sold
7 #70703 - C-GMIY - flying - sold
6 #60119 - C-FHBZ - built - Airventure 2016 Bronze Lindy - sold
8 #82842 - C-FSBG - Fastback with big hp IO-360-A1B6 10:1 - built - flying
4 #2723 - building slowly
Old 03-06-2020, 10:11 AM

Steve-
Have you ever got into the 'Cdn license, Temp Registration (reservation), Ferry Permit' drama?

Comatb
7.1 Apply for your CofR as soon as possible after the FAA has de-registered the aircraft for export. ($110.00 random call sign, $140 your choice letters)
7.2 Apply for the MD-RA Import inspection ($1600) immediately after you have done 7.1. TC will not start processing your CofR request until MD-RA notifies them that an inspection request is in process. Why? Because TC can & has taken up to 3+ months to process these requests.
7.3 You can schedule MD-RA inspector to do the inspection when you are ready for him.
7.4 A complete Cdn annual inspection has to be performed before the Import inspection, for both airworthiness as well Canadian conformity to 549. Hopefully you did a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection to have some control of expenses here.
7.5 P/S, xpdr & ELT re-cert have to be redone to CARs 571 requirements prior to Import inspection (? $600)
7.6 Be very true to the instructions MD-RA layed out for their Import process. The inspector will want all reports and Journal entries done in a very specific way. Any variation will only add to the time & frustration.

Final note (I can remember), if you get the owner to fly the plane into Canada, make sure his final destination is the airport you will be doing the import inspection, because as soon as the FAA de-registeration is processed the plane is grounded till you get the CofR / CofA process done.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:58 AM

Thank you both for the great information. It would be much easier to find a taildragger, -6, -7 or -9 in Canada.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:01 AM

But some times you see the 'perfect dream plane', go get it where ever it is.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:39 PM

Unhappy No

I've never had to do ferry permit stuff. Just worked out for me (owners friend came along for flight).

Yeah buying in Canada is definitely easier - just sign back CofR and hand over money - fly it home (with insurance) - but find then one you want and don't be afraid of the process - it takes time, but they're helpful.

Exchange rate is the only killer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGQ..._as=subscriber

Steve "Stu"
Cold Lake, Alberta
7A #70015 - C-FZQX - built - sold
7A #71629 - C-FSIS - built - sold across Atlantic
7 #70215 - C-GOJU - flying - sold
7 #70703 - C-GMIY - flying - sold
6 #60119 - C-FHBZ - built - Airventure 2016 Bronze Lindy - sold
8 #82842 - C-FSBG - Fastback with big hp IO-360-A1B6 10:1 - built - flying
4 #2723 - building slowly
Old 03-15-2020, 03:28 PM

Default Pulled the Trigger

Thank you all for you input and advise. We have an agreement to purchase an RV6, 0-320 fixed Sensenich prop. It should arrive at YKF by the weekend....we hope the wire transfer has been received by the seller in the next few days and that the ferry pilot has good weather.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:37 PM

I called AOPA and asked them what was the procedure, except I was importing from Canada. I imagine they have good insight as to a good plan too for the opposite way.

RV-7A N1243A Sold
Old 03-16-2020, 07:21 AM

Default RV6

Bill, glad to hear you and you wife found a plane. Once you are up and flying, fly into ZBA and look me up, would love to see your plane.
Dues Paid
Old 03-17-2020, 06:39 AM

Thanks Al. The RV6 is in New Mexico. It will be a while as you know getting it completely ready for flight here. Do you know of any hangars for rent at ZBA?