What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Importation costs - used RV

comatb

We are looking at used RV's in the USA and would like any advise on the importation into Canada regarding costs, process and paperwork.

sure

I can help you with that. Done it many times both directions. FYI the process seems to vary a bit so be prudent and stay in discussions with FAA and MDRA as far as what they require. Don't annoy them but stay engaged.

1. Airframe must have more than 100 hrs flying time

2. Buy it and import it into Canada. I use Pacific Custom Brokers - great to deal with. Pre-inspection etc up to you.

3. Fly it across border once Pacific paperwork is done. FYI if you don't have a US pilots licence you'll need someone else to be PIC

4. Pay GST

5. Get the previous owner to contact FAA and 'de-register' the aircraft in the US. Highly recommend doing all paperwork via overnight courier unless you want more delays.

6. FAA will send you a letter saying its de-registered. Now you can start the Canadian registration process

7. Apply for CofR. Once you get it contact MDRA and request an import inspection. Discuss with inspector what he needs from you specifically because I do find it varies a bit.

8. Once inspection done you'll get CofA in mail

When in doubt contact these guys:
http://www.md-ra.com/en/

Its takes a bit of time to re-register and register - expect at least a month but its not bad.

Enjoy!!!

Steve-
Have you ever got into the 'Cdn license, Temp Registration (reservation), Ferry Permit' drama?

Comatb
7.1 Apply for your CofR as soon as possible after the FAA has de-registered the aircraft for export. ($110.00 random call sign, $140 your choice letters)
7.2 Apply for the MD-RA Import inspection ($1600) immediately after you have done 7.1. TC will not start processing your CofR request until MD-RA notifies them that an inspection request is in process. Why? Because TC can & has taken up to 3+ months to process these requests.
7.3 You can schedule MD-RA inspector to do the inspection when you are ready for him.
7.4 A complete Cdn annual inspection has to be performed before the Import inspection, for both airworthiness as well Canadian conformity to 549. Hopefully you did a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection to have some control of expenses here.
7.5 P/S, xpdr & ELT re-cert have to be redone to CARs 571 requirements prior to Import inspection (? $600)
7.6 Be very true to the instructions MD-RA layed out for their Import process. The inspector will want all reports and Journal entries done in a very specific way. Any variation will only add to the time & frustration.

Final note (I can remember), if you get the owner to fly the plane into Canada, make sure his final destination is the airport you will be doing the import inspection, because as soon as the FAA de-registeration is processed the plane is grounded till you get the CofR / CofA process done.

Thank you both for the great information. It would be much easier to find a taildragger, -6, -7 or -9 in Canada.

No

I've never had to do ferry permit stuff. Just worked out for me (owners friend came along for flight).

Yeah buying in Canada is definitely easier - just sign back CofR and hand over money - fly it home (with insurance) - but find then one you want and don't be afraid of the process - it takes time, but they're helpful.

Exchange rate is the only killer

Pulled the Trigger

Thank you all for you input and advise. We have an agreement to purchase an RV6, 0-320 fixed Sensenich prop. It should arrive at YKF by the weekend....we hope the wire transfer has been received by the seller in the next few days and that the ferry pilot has good weather.

I called AOPA and asked them what was the procedure, except I was importing from Canada. I imagine they have good insight as to a good plan too for the opposite way.

RV6

Bill, glad to hear you and you wife found a plane. Once you are up and flying, fly into ZBA and look me up, would love to see your plane.

Thanks Al. The RV6 is in New Mexico. It will be a while as you know getting it completely ready for flight here. Do you know of any hangars for rent at ZBA?

FYI - You don't need a US license to do this.

You can transfer the registration to Canadian and then fly it back yourself using your own license. The FAA will issue a flight permit that's valid until you cross the border, TC will issue a flight permit that is valid from there until you reach the airport at which you'll park it until the inspection is done.

Caution on MD-RA - Be sure that anything they ask you to do is actually supported by the regulations. 406 Mhz ELT's are not mandatory yet, for example. Also, since you'll be using the Exception to Chapter 549 to import, note that you don't need the massive "this aircraft is operating without a C-of-A..." label. The text size is not specified, and the text is simpler, for those using the exception.

Happy to answer questions about importing, my -6 started out in the US as well.

Stuck in Ohio

Our ferry pilot picked up our new to us RV6 in NM. Well that is good news for us, but the bad news is that the border closed in the mean time and he got it to Ohio. It is one of those 'so close yet so far' situations. Hope everyone stays safe and our RV6 can cross the border as soon as it is legal and safe.

How to Import RV from Canada to the U.S.

FYI - You don't need a US license to do this.

Happy to answer questions about importing, my -6 started out in the US as well.

Hi Snowflake,

Do you have experience or know someone that have done export from Canada to the U.S.?

I have a friend that is negotiating a RV with a Canadian owner, but seems like they need support on understanding the correct process.

Appreciate if you can give some advice. Thank you.

Back