VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-12-2018, 08:50 AM

Doug my take on your post 27 is MP is not a good measure for prop pitch but RPM will be. There are a number of variables with MP with field elevation for instance.
There are a couple of articles from Rotax users in several aircraft, and plenty of RV12 experience to draw from. I took this info way back and use it ti try and set my prop pitch.
Prop settings
Static 4900-5100
Take off 4850-5000
WOT level 5500-5650

Use these number as you want. My problem has been WOT going to 5720 and trying to get enough pitch to move closer to 5650. Itís been tough.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funflying View Post
Thanks for the reply Jim. I use a digital level with a fixture attach to the level I made based on an article titled, Pitch Perfect. The fixture firmly attaches to the level and is in the shape of a T. The horizontal of the T has a lip to guide me on the trailing edge, and the vertical of the T is shaped pretty well to the contour of the prop.

I did use another level to level the prop each I rotated the prop but after a conversation with Sensenich the tech felt the prop needed to be level but using a level each time was a bit much. I use a reference mark each rotation to get the prop in the correct spot to check the pitch angle.
Your call, but I'd said not good enough. Prop hub must be leveled each time a blade pitch is measured. Also recheck cabin longeron level each time blade is moved - plane moves when engine is turned by hand. You need an extremely repeatable fixture to measure blade angle. I strongly advise purchase of the tool mentioned from Vans.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 400

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 07-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funflying View Post
Doug my take on your post 27 is MP is not a good measure for prop pitch but RPM will be. There are a number of variables with MP with field elevation for instance.
There are a couple of articles from Rotax users in several aircraft, and plenty of RV12 experience to draw from. I took this info way back and use it ti try and set my prop pitch.
Prop settings
Static 4900-5100
Take off 4850-5000
WOT level 5500-5650

Use these number as you want. My problem has been WOT going to 5720 and trying to get enough pitch to move closer to 5650. It’s been tough.
Thank you Pat, useful! And just guessing, is it possible your hub is original version and prone to slippage even after torqueing? I replaced mine with Revision B hub which has better clamping, but doesn't escape the newest Prop SB...
Old 07-12-2018, 12:04 PM

I recently gave the serial to Sensenich and Don was okay with it as it ends with a C. He did however offer to check it if I wanted to take the entire hub off and ship it back.
I told him I was going to try a few more time to get it set properly but if it still was moving I would be shipping it to him. He seemed concerned I didnít have the pitch cylinder in the middle seated properly.
The last time I reassembled, did a static run, I was seeing only 4500 RPM. Then the SB came out so itís coming back apart anyway.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold