VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-10-2018, 01:20 PM

The early Cleveland master cylinders had an external spring but it was too weak from the factory so they issued a Service Bulletin to change them. They provided the parts free at the time. I changed mine but I don't think I had a problem to begin with.
When you set up the brake pedal linkage it is essential to make sure there is no binding as that will cause dragging brakes with any stock master cylinder springs, internal or external. There's nothing wrong with adding external springs but make sure your linkage is set up correctly first.
Manager - Panel Design, SteinAir, Inc.
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor

We're all here because we're not all there...
Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsxer View Post
There's nothing wrong with adding external springs but make sure your linkage is set up correctly first.
There may even be additional benefit although I am no engineer. There are some really clean approaches to this like Tomís that add bushings and the collar.
The master cylinders are intended to be actuated in a straight line. The geometry of the Vans pedals doesnít do this, they put a side load on the shaft. ( per discussion with Matco). This side load wears the shaft and seal and they will eventually leak. (Mine did at about 600 hours.)
Perhaps the added spring with collar and bushings will help with the shaft side load issue? Perhaps not.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.