VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-12-2017, 06:12 AM

I've enjoyed reading this thread and watching the videos.

I now know I am not alone in the initial ability to land my RV-6 without bouncing.

It took 5 hours of transition before I was comfortable to go alone.

I'm now up to 15 hours and comfortably (sort a) doing wheelies on command.

Previously I've been doing wheelies with airspeed at 80 mph over the threshold and just a touch of power. The success rate (no bounce) was about 70-80 %.

After reading this thread, I went out to practice wheelies with airspeed at 90 mph over the threshold and wheelies with airspeed at 70 mph over the threshold. BTW, my Vso is 56 mph.

I had to be much more precise on the touch with the 90 mph approaches, which makes sense because of the excess flying speed on the plane. But it was good practice on learning how to get it on and stick. The attitude was very level on the touch.

The 70 mph approaches were the easiest. It was tail low, and just a small release of back pressure kept it on the wheels with no bounce.

Also of note, I tried to use the "look at the end of the runway" technique, but alas, that will only work with a "level" runway. If the runway slopes up or down or has a crown or a dip -- not so much.

Had the RV grin all day.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 AM

Read this whole thread. Glad I'm going to fly with Mike Seager a bunch before I try and fly my 8. I've only got about 20 hours recent tailwheel time in a Citabria.. but I couldn't resist the RV8 when I had the chance.. Hoping all goes well in about a month..

Last edited by DougCronkhite : 07-27-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:47 PM

Since hiring on with the airlines my tail wheel time has dwindled, thought I might read this thread again

Y’all enjoy Osh