Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-10-2018, 06:14 AM

Ok. Thanks
Old 08-10-2018, 09:26 AM

Stein at Steinair is also worth a call. I like both Stein and Jesse.
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 08-10-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willoukw View Post
Finished tail section on rv9 and started on wing.
In my opinion, the biggest favor you can do yourself is to concentrate on the plane and forget about the avionics (for now). By the time you're ready to install avionics, the market including brands, prices, and capabilities of various offerings will look completely different than it does today.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:04 AM

You might want to think about AOA installation if you're doing the wings.

Bob

Subscription Paid for 2018

Home is where the hanger is...
Old 08-10-2018, 12:35 PM

Default my take

I would pick a avionics brand, my choice was either Dynon or Garmin. This way you can install the autopilot, heated pitot tube, and magnetometer, etc, as you build. Don't need to buy things until they need to be installed. For example, when building the wings, I bought the heated pitot tube and the roll autopilot servo and harness; while building the rear fuse, I bought the elevator autopilot servo.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 08-10-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
I would pick a avionics brand, my choice was either Dynon or Garmin. This way you can install the autopilot, heated pitot tube, and magnetometer, etc, as you build. Don't need to buy things until they need to be installed. For example, when building the wings, I bought the heated pitot tube and the roll autopilot servo and harness; while building the rear fuse, I bought the elevator autopilot servo.
Well... sort of. When I got my -9A, IIRC, I changed from Dynon servos to Garmin, and they used the same bolt holes. While you're building, yes, run enough wires for each kind of device, maybe a few spares,and tubes as well, but as somebody else pointed out, wait until the very last minute to make the final decision. You don't really need a harness for the servos as there aren't that many wires and the connectors are, IIRC, D-subs, easy enough to wire. Same goes for wingtip lights and LED strobes, should you decide to use them.
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 08-10-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willoukw View Post
Hello to everyone. I’m new to the site. I am a first time builder. Finished tail section on rv9 and started on wing. I’m thinking ahead about what kind of avionics I will go with when I get to that point. My problem is I am completely overwhelmed with it. I want to go with the most reasonable vfr panel I can to start with and plan to upgrade to ifr eventually, maybe some day. The Dynon quick panel looks nice but I know nothing about avionics. They start at $20k for vfr. Does anyone have any advice on this. Is there a better cheaper option? Thanks for any help.

Kevin welcome to the best hobby on Earth! Don't get overwhelmed yet, stay stress free for couple years. You indicated you just started on the wings keep pounding those rivets get passed fuselage, put her on the gear, finish the canopy and hang the engine... you will have so many avionics choices by the time your airframe is done.

Word of wisdom is below. I have many friends who sunk tons of hard earned cash many years (decade+) ago into those fancy then screens. They are already outdated and their RVs are still without canopy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post

wait until the very last minute to make the final decision. You don't really need a harness for the servos as there aren't that many wires and the connectors are, IIRC, D-subs, easy enough to wire. Same goes for wingtip lights and LED strobes, should you decide to use them.

Life is short. If you are not building a Lindy or a super performer, stick to the plans and get in the air asap on the budget. Then you decide what to do. Tinker or fly...

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.

Last edited by Vlad : 08-10-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 PM

Vlad and KRW seem to have it down pat.
Put in a basic 6 pack, and enjoy flying your plane for a season or two. You can always do a winter avionics upgrade, with the majority of it being done in your warm basement.

If there's one takeaway that I've gotten from reading builder's logs and working on aircraft over the years, it's this: make it easy for your future self to carry out mods and maint. Make your floorboards removeable. Run conduit everywhere, or at least extra wire for AOA/Autopilot servos/strobes/lights. It pays huge dividends down the road.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:37 PM

Default Keep building

Don't worry about the panel yet. By the time you get there you will have a lot more knowledge on the subject.

Welcome and enjoy the process...
RV-9 (yes) N369RV
Mattituck IO-360, C/S Whirl Wind Prop, GRT, Digiflight II, Garmin SL30 & GTX 330 and Hotel Whisky Aux tanks, Bla Bla Bla
Flying