VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-09-2018, 07:14 PM

Default RV9 avionics help

Hello to everyone. I知 new to the site. I am a first time builder. Finished tail section on rv9 and started on wing. I知 thinking ahead about what kind of avionics I will go with when I get to that point. My problem is I am completely overwhelmed with it. I want to go with the most reasonable vfr panel I can to start with and plan to upgrade to ifr eventually, maybe some day. The Dynon quick panel looks nice but I know nothing about avionics. They start at $20k for vfr. Does anyone have any advice on this. Is there a better cheaper option? Thanks for any help.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:16 PM

Give me a call tomorrow and I値l talk with you about the options.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:19 PM

I sure will. Thank you very much Jesse.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willoukw View Post
Hello to everyone. I知 new to the site. I am a first time builder.
Kevin, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-09-2018, 09:07 PM

For cheap VFR, they start cheaper than that if you're willing (and able) to build it yourself. You can go hard IFR with all the options for $25k.

If you're looking for someone to do a turn-key panel for you, Jesse or Stein will do you right.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:12 PM

Thanks Mike. It痴 great to have a site like this where others are so willing to help
Old 08-09-2018, 10:14 PM

Thanks Greg. I知 going to call Jesse tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:38 PM

Jesse will be a great info source ... pick his brain!

The avionics install step is a big one; very little guidance from Van's here. I'm an electrical engineer and am very comfortable with doing aviation quality wiring, routing, crimping, etc., however, I was surprised at how much work it was to do the design and layout/routing of my G3X system. Lots of reading, designing, planning, and replanning. It is a big job.

My take-aways:

1) Use a schematic capture package to do your design (kicad, or equiv) so you can generate an automatic netlist. I used Visio, which is a drawing program. Lots of manual cross-checking required to get it right. With a schematic capture program, you define your "component" (whosever e-box) and then wire it up. It will generate a netlist to indicate what is connected to what ; very useful to buzz out wiring from connector to connector.

2) Plan and replan after your look at the wiring in the plane. The best laid wiring plans will not survive the first attack of the spar passthroughs or other constraints . Be flexible. Plan and replan as needed.

3) Get good quality (Daniels or AstroTool) crimpers and use the high quality machined contacts. Worth every penny. I built lots of satellites and other electronics systems; the failures come in two flavors: 1) connectors, and 2) power supplies. You can't control the power supplies the vendors use, but you surely can control the connectors. You don't need space-grade, but do use high quality machined contacts and compatible shells. (I don't know about other manufacturers, but all the Garmin stuff is top shelf)

It was fun to wire up my panel, but is was more work that originally anticipated. However, it's fundamentally not difficult ... mostly just reading and understanding how to hook A to B to C.

Good luck and have fun!
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Working the baffles
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2018 donation happily made
Old 08-10-2018, 05:47 AM

Thank you very much for the advice Bill. What did you install with your 3x? I知 trying to figure what I need for a good user friendly system. And I want auto pilot with it. Thank you
Old 08-10-2018, 05:53 AM

If you are trying to save money on your panel, keep your eyes open for a used Dynon D180 for your EFIS display. It is good for all your flight and engine instruments. Then put in a Garmin handheld for your navigation chores. (I still have a 496 which gives me weather and nav.) There are many RV's flying with this combination and they are very reliable.

Note, that does not address your need for a Mode-S transponder, ADS-B, or a comm radio.

Then when you can save up some cash later on, you can replace that with something fancier, if you want.

Jesse will give you some good advice when you talk with him.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html