VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Default Rant on engine monitors

My firm belief is that an electronic engine monitor is the most important instrument to have in an aircraft, especially in homebuilts. Even more important than an EFIS. Nevertheless, I don't have one yet. Primary reason is cost and secondary reason is installation logistics with too many wires for too long a run.
(It would be ideal to have an engine compartment box blue-toothing to a dedicated display on the panel.)

I was briefly excited seeing recent ads for the EDM-350 for $798. Wow, great! But that is just for CHT&EGT. Come on, one needs rpm, oil pressure & temp also as a legal minimum. Everyone already has sensors for oil and tach and the software to include this as standard in the instrument would be negligible. If you opt for those "extra" 3 functions, adding several hundreds of dollars, the price no longer seems that great.

For the price of the EDM-350 with 3 basic options, there are are several other vendors, that offer more standard features or at least a better value proposition. Nevertheless, you wind up with either a more antiquated design (e.g., lcd dot display), and Product costing almost $2k and up.

In short, my rant is not only that I find these devices overly expensive, which I know is subjective. My rant is also that if the aviation industry really wants to enhance safety, we would all benefit from less expensive engine monitoring offerings. We all know that a well monitored engine can save disaster and warn of engine operation and installation problems.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM

Default cheaper

Aviation at lower costs? Not in my 47 years flying. A different hobby, like hiking might increase the size of my piggy bank.
BTW, I like the data I get on my Grand Rapids display. It was worth every penny I paid for it. Note: I just test flew a JPI installation yesterday in a Cessna 210 Turbo to Flagstaff. I think the bill was just under $8K when finished. So, I feel better about my RV now. (I don't own the C210)

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes.Helicopter rated, balloon instructor, seaplanes and for grins, Phantom Drone pilot. Instructor for air medical and law enforcement tactical radio systems. Fly my RV9A to work every week. Janitor when and as needed.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Not Bluetooth....... but close.

http://www.mglavionics.com/html/xtreme_efis.html
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 08-09-2018, 11:04 AM

Bought a used GRT EIS4000 on this site with all sensors, for $500. Deals are out there.

Chris
Old 08-09-2018, 11:06 AM

Yeah the Extreme looks nice, but to my point it comes to about $2k. What I like about that device is that it has the remote analog to digital converter which facilitates thermocouple wiring runs. Actually, the MGL Velocity singles E1 device looks pretty good for less than $500, but it doesn't record.

Yeah, aviation is expensive. One reason pilot population is diminishing. This is bad for the industry. All I'm saying is that ex industry should wake up and make,more,affordable products, especially when the products contributes to safety.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Aviation is expensive, but one look at aviation ads from 30/40 years ago would show some shockingly expensive electronics with laughable capability. By comparison we are getting FAR more value today, especially in the competitive world of EXP products.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 08-09-2018, 11:37 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
Yeah the Extreme looks nice, but to my point it comes to about $2k. What I like about that device is that it has the remote analog to digital converter which facilitates thermocouple wiring runs. Actually, the MGL Velocity singles E1 device looks pretty good for less than $500, but it doesn't record.

Yeah, aviation is expensive. One reason pilot population is diminishing. This is bad for the industry. All I'm saying is that ex industry should wake up and make,more,affordable products, especially when the products contributes to safety.

What you’re looking for can be found at BeLite Aircraft - their Radiant series of instruments were designed specifically be low priced:

http://www.beliteaircraftstore.com/r...ngine-monitor/

I havent used one of their engine monitors, but have tested some of their other instruments, and they work as advertised.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 08-09-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Aviation is expensive, but one look at aviation ads from 30/40 years ago would show some shockingly expensive electronics with laughable capability. By comparison we are getting FAR more value today, especially in the competitive world of EXP products.
+1

I remember seeing the UPS adds stating "You can get all of this capability for only $68,000"
MGL is the best value. Their prices are very fair. If you want better technology or refinement then you are moving into the "want" realm and should be willing to pay for it.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 AM

Default Business opportunity!

If you think it can be done better and/or cheaper, you'll make "tons" of money!

Whenever I think something is done wrong, I usually take an hour and write up a biz plan, and then that brings me back to reality - I've done this probably a dozen times with aviation-related products, and each time, I discover that the guys that are doing it now either are really amazing, or are not making much money. The aviation market is very small for low cost products of any kind.

I agree with you about the wiring runs - the device should sit in the engine compartment and have a couple of wires going to the panel. That said, I just installed my GRT EIS 4000 with all the wires needed, and it all fit easily in one of those stainless steel firewall penetrations.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ration_kit.php

I thought it would be painful, but it was no big deal. Don't let the small wiring hassle keep you from reaping the benefits of these amazing devices.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:02 PM
been here awhile

Default We have it better than ever before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
All I'm saying is that ex industry should wake up and make,more,affordable products, especially when the products contributes to safety.
That is a curious statement to make as vendors in the experimental community are in the process of turning the certificated avionics market on its collective head. The migration of TruTrak, Trio and especially Dynon products from the experimental realm to the certificated side of the market is presenting highly advanced features at price points that were never even considered possible a few years ago.

Never has avionics offered as many feature for the $$$ as what we have available today. The fact that these options are supported by companies with a solid economic track record is an even bigger bonus.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 08-09-2018 at 12:05 PM.