VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-08-2018, 12:51 PM

Default Fiberglass Supplier

Just placed an order with "uscomposites" for epoxy, fiberglass, pigment, etc.

There pricing for gallon of West System epoxy was the best I could find. Gallon of resin was $82 gallon and hardener was $32. The guy on the phone was quite helpful.

Steve

RV8 Flying since 2007
RV10 in construction (Finish Kit)
Old 08-08-2018, 07:42 PM

Better to just avoid West Systems epoxy altogether and use better epoxy for less money.

We recommend the Jeffco 1307 resin. ACS has it at a good price. A one-gallon 'kit' is $87, includes both resin and medium hardener.

My main issue with West Systems, aside from it being really expensive, is that it cold-inhibits. You can do a lay-up with temps in the 60s F, and then before it cures, the temp drops into the mid 50s in the shop. You will get a rubbery part that no amount of post-curing at any temperature will fix. It is scrap.

This will not happen with either Jeffco or MGS epoxy.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 515 in 9 years (would have flown more this year if not for fire smoke)
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 08-09-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
Better to just avoid West Systems epoxy altogether and use better epoxy for less money.

We recommend the Jeffco 1307 resin. ACS has it at a good price. A one-gallon 'kit' is $87, includes both resin and medium hardener.

My main issue with West Systems, aside from it being really expensive, is that it cold-inhibits. You can do a lay-up with temps in the 60s F, and then before it cures, the temp drops into the mid 50s in the shop. You will get a rubbery part that no amount of post-curing at any temperature will fix. It is scrap.

This will not happen with either Jeffco or MGS epoxy.
This happened to me on the tip-up plexiglass work. Ugly. 70's when done, but dipped into 60's in the garage overnight and would not set. Ended up with some heat gun damage on the canopy while heating to peel/scrape it off. Just mind the temps.

Steve Murray: Mike's brother, right? Mike and I had a good visit at the 50th MCHS reunion a few months back. USCOMPOSITES does have good prices - I get lots of glass cloth from them, the best price I have found.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 08-09-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post

Steve Murray: Mike's brother, right? Mike and I had a good visit at the 50th MCHS reunion a few months back.
Yes, I am Mike's brother. (My apologies for whatever he did at the reunion...) Are you from Monroeville? Did you work with Mike at VF? Small world.

RV8 Flying since 2007
Old 08-09-2018, 05:56 AM

I strictly use MGS for any/all lay-ups, and then use the West Systems for final fill and sanding because it is so EZ to sand.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 08-09-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve murray View Post
There pricing for gallon of West System epoxy was the best I could find. Gallon of resin was $82 gallon and hardener was $32.
How much was the shipping? West Marine sells resin for $85 and hardener for $45, but offers free shipping.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:31 AM

Default If you can find it:

Epon 862 and Epicure 3234 are base stocks that other shops use to build their own mixtures. Mix ratio 100/15 resin to curing agent.

I found the stuff on Skygeek - pricing is fair for smaller amounts.

The 862 can 'catch a cold' from low temps (crystalize) - simply heat to 140F and the stuff is usable again. Use qt bottles for the resin (purchased in 5 gal buckets), which fit easily into my microwave for heating.

I learned about this setup from an epoxy engineer - he said it was better than the same product mixed with retarders etc. As an example, JB Weld is made with this base stock.

These products have a no-limit shelf life, but keep an eye on the resin if it gets cold while in storage.

If I recall correctly, West System is non-structural.

"Not everyone needs a Rocket. Some folks, however, shouldn't live life without one.
You know who you are."
Budd Davisson, 1997
Old 08-10-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Anunson View Post
How much was the shipping? West Marine sells resin for $85 and hardener for $45, but offers free shipping.
I will let you know, I added a bunch of Fiberglass and fillers, should arrive next week and I will report back with shipping costs.

Steve

RV8 Flying since 2007
Old 08-10-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Boss View Post
Epon 862 and Epicure 3234 are base stocks that other shops use to build their own mixtures. Mix ratio 100/15 resin to curing agent.

The 862 can 'catch a cold' from low temps (crystalize) - simply heat to 140F and the stuff is usable again. Use qt bottles for the resin (purchased in 5 gal buckets), which fit easily into my microwave for heating.

These products have a no-limit shelf life, but keep an eye on the resin if it gets cold while in storage.
Yes it is true that Shell Epon is the base stock that most all formulators use to make their epoxy. I think Epon 828 is the straight base stock. Most of the other Epon numbers are different viscosities, and I'm not sure what other modifiers.
Various additives give epoxy different properties, which are normally improvements to the behavior of the base stock.

There is a very wide variety of hardeners. The toxicity/allergenic properties of the different hardeners varies greatly. I think Epikure 3234 is TETA, which IIRC is one of the nastier hardeners.

Jeffco and MGS have about the highest T_g of any room-temperature curing formulations, and the hardener seems to be relatively benign.

When epoxy crystalizes in the container, just warm it up a little and stir. No harm done. Not sure it would be good to put it in a microwave though.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 515 in 9 years (would have flown more this year if not for fire smoke)
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 08-10-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Boss View Post

I found the stuff on Skygeek - pricing is fair for smaller amounts.

I learned about this setup from an epoxy engineer - he said it was better than the same product mixed with retarders etc. As an example, JB Weld is made with this base stock.

If I recall correctly, West System is non-structural.
That is quite a statement regarding West Systems if you are really not sure. In reading about West systems it is stated to be structural. Can you give a reference to your information for clarity? I have used it for years and would hate to think that I will fall out of the sky because of bad information???