VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-31-2018, 05:48 PM

Default RV8 BatteryMinder

I did a search, and saw one thread that referenced a firewall mounted battery. That is not applicable to my situation.

Iím curious to read what you guys have come up with for a battery charging soulution. My battery is mounted behind the rear baggage area, and is enclosed. Meaning, I have not have fabricated a trap door to access it without doing a lot of unscrewing. Any help,is appreciated!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:22 PM

Many ways to do this. Simplest is a standard power jack mounted on the baggage compartment shelf, panel or other convenient spot with a 10 amp breaker wired to the battery(s) or master solenoid(s).

That said, try to never use it. I talked to an RV-14 builder today who just distroyed his third PC-680 battery in two years by using a battery minder. An Odyssey battery retains 90% of its charge sitting idle, so the 1960 concept of trickle charge makes no sense.

My rules for airplane batteries:
- Never charge a battery unless there is a specific reason.
- Never leave a battery charger on a battery unattended. Keep a volt meter on the battery during the charge and remove when terminal voltage gets to 14.3 or so.
- If you run a battery flat, replace it - period. You have damaged it and now do not know what reserve capacity it can provide. Us it in law tractor or such.
- Never run a panel on a battery with a battery charger connected. There are very nice 30 amp power supplies at less than $100 to do this. I have a jumper behind the panel to connect the power supply when I want to run the panel for extended periods of time on the ground. This can also charge the battery just like the alternator if desired.

Carl
Old 07-31-2018, 06:47 PM

+1 on Carl's points. I did put in a trap door for easier access to battery, strobe power pack and ELT. Also ran the Odyssey charge cable thru a grommeted hole for quick plug in if I ever need it.

RV-8 IO375, Hartzell CS, dual PMags.
Dues paid thru Dec 22, 2018
Old 07-31-2018, 06:50 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

The batteries in my 10 were behind the baggage bulkhead, I ran a pigtail from each one through the bulkhead with a split rubber grommet to protect the wire.

Bit of velcro to hold the pigtail end up and out of the way finished it off.

I totally support the prior comment about not charging the battery without need.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
+1 on Carl's points. I did put in a trap door for easier access to battery, strobe power pack and ELT. Also ran the Odyssey charge cable thru a grommeted hole for quick plug in if I ever need it.

The trap door is great, I just wish Iíd have known about it sooner.
Thanks!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Many ways to do this. Simplest is a standard power jack mounted on the baggage compartment shelf, panel or other convenient spot with a 10 amp breaker wired to the battery(s) or master solenoid(s).

That said, try to never use it. I talked to an RV-14 builder today who just distroyed his third PC-680 battery in two years by using a battery minder. An Odyssey battery retains 90% of its charge sitting idle, so the 1960 concept of trickle charge makes no sense.

My rules for airplane batteries:
- Never charge a battery unless there is a specific reason.
- Never leave a battery charger on a battery unattended. Keep a volt meter on the battery during the charge and remove when terminal voltage gets to 14.3 or so.
- If you run a battery flat, replace it - period. You have damaged it and now do not know what reserve capacity it can provide. Us it in law tractor or such.
- Never run a panel on a battery with a battery charger connected. There are very nice 30 amp power supplies at less than $100 to do this. I have a jumper behind the panel to connect the power supply when I want to run the panel for extended periods of time on the ground. This can also charge the battery just like the alternator if desired.

Carl
My understanding of BatteryMinder, is that it prevents sulfinate? Isnít that what ruins a battery?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
The batteries in my 10 were behind the baggage bulkhead, I ran a pigtail from each one through the bulkhead with a split rubber grommet to protect the wire.

Bit of velcro to hold the pigtail end up and out of the way finished it off.

I totally support the prior comment about not charging the battery without need.

Thatís a good idea! Does the BatteryMinder come with the pigtail, or is that something you buy separately?
Old 08-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Came with them.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-01-2018, 11:06 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithflys23 View Post
My understanding of BatteryMinder, is that it prevents sulfinate? Isnít that what ruins a battery?
Take to heart the advice to not use a trickle charger with the PC-680. Regardless of whatever chemistry is in play, there is solid field history of AGM batteries dying early due to trickle charging. Fly the plane regularly, leave the charger in the toolbox and you should get excellent service for many years.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:04 AM

Default My battery charging solution

Because Iím electrically dependent on my aircraft with my alternative engine installation, I need to ensure that both my batteries are always charged. Therefore, I invested in a BatteryMinder charger, specifically for the odyssey batteries, that is capable of charging more than one battery at a time.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batter...er-desulfator/

I installed two cigarette lighter outlets on the belly of my aircraft near the battery. This is very convenient for plugging the charger into the aircraft. But it has an added bonus. When Iím camping, I can plug my portable electronic devices into the aircraft outlets for charging. Here is my builder log photos of the installation.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=148109&row=15
N988RV
VAF Dues Paid for 2018
http://www.mykitlog.com/jackclark/