Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2018, 09:33 AM

Default RV-14 or RV-10? What were your arguments?

Hey builders,

I am a bit afraid there are already twenty threads about this, but I couldn't really find them.
I'm thinking about building an RV myself. I'd like to build an IFR capable plane. I do not like to build lots of carbon stuff (have had enough of carbon building at university). And I like XC and some acro. The idea to visit different continents with my own plane is appealing.
Now I'm not sure whether to go with a ten or a fourteen.

What where your thoughts when deciding pro RV-14?

Best,
Malte
Old 07-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Malte-----welcome to VAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanduda View Post
And I like XC and some acro.
The 10 is a great cross country ship, but it is not acro.

The 14 is acro rated.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 AM

Default 14 insurance

If the 14 will do the job you only pay insurance on 2 seats not 4. If you don't need the 4 seats. I have had four seaters in the past and only filled the seats a handful of times.
Dues paid 2018
Dan "Nordo" West
Old 07-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynwest View Post
If the 14 will do the job you only pay insurance on 2 seats not 4. If you don't need the 4 seats. I have had four seaters in the past and only filled the seats a handful of times.
True. I already thought about a three seater RV-10 with some extras instead of a fourth back seat. Long range tanks, more luggage space or an A/C.
Also the ten is a bit more stable and comfortable for XC?
BUT you cannot do loops...
Old 07-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Default $$$

How much $$ do you want to spend?
Use Vans calculator and add $20k for any upgrades.
This may help make your decision.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:52 AM

And the debate continues.

This is what I tell people when they ask me what RV I like best or what they should build:
- If you fly mostly solo and want aerobatics, build the RV-8.
- If you want to be a hero with the spouse and plan on a lot of cross country with her, build the RV-10.
- If you want a compromise between the two, build the RV-14.

Total cost of the RV-10 over the RV-14 is amazingly small. If you build the RV-14 do not get any engine other than the 210hp IO-390. It needs all those ponies.

If you want intercontinental range, the RV-10 best supports ferry tanks.

Carl
Old 07-24-2018, 10:48 AM

For long I wanted my aircraft to be the one to do it all.... But just as it is not wise to drive around in a 6000 kilogram camper buss just because you need it during one week per year...

I choose the 14 because it will do what I need for 90% of my flying. It will be easier and cheaper to rent a Piper Saratoga/Lance when I need more seats or a DA42 for when I want a twin than to build and always fly around in an RV10. Plus I really want to do the occasional roll/loping/hamerhead.

Only you cans answer what is best for you, maybe you almost always use more than 2 seats, and find it easier to rent an aerobatics capable machine for those few? times you want to be upside down...
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 07-24-2018, 02:05 PM

As always, define the mission first. Yours (as described) includes acro, so that's a hard limit right there and eliminates the -10. The -14 will do everything on your list.

I'm building a -14A as it suits my current mission profile exceptionally well. I loved my old -8, but my wife was never happy being relegated to the hapless/helpless position of backseat ballast; she'll be a much more comfortable and confident flyer upfront with me.

I can't remember the last time I needed more than two seats (I'd have to check my logbook, but it's certainly been more than ten years), so I had zero interest in the -10 before even considering its non-acro design. The -14A is the only RV which fits my needs.

Kit-wise, it's simply amazing how much progress has been made since I completed my -8 (from a standard kit) 16 years ago. The -14A is going together very quickly so far...

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A #140494 (Left wing underway)
N114KB (reserved)

Last edited by kbalch : 07-25-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:59 PM

There are a couple of ways of making decisions like this. It is important to differentiate between rational decisions and emotional decisions. Before anyone ďpoo-poosĒ emotional decisions as valid, letís just remind ourselves that there is really no rational reason ANY of us NEEDS an airplane...but we WANTED one badly enough to invest a lot of money and time in them!

Rational: look at how much it will cost to rent a 4 or more seater, then look at how much it will cost to rent an acro machine of your liking. Then decide which you will want more often and see what the cost differential is of renting the thing you want least frequently. If itís cheaper to rent your least wanted thing...decision is done. If it is more expensive, then you need to continue the analysis.

Emotional: when someone asks about your plane how will you feel when you explain your choice? Which do you like the look of better? Ask yourself about the irrational aspects of the choice and donít dismiss their importance.

If you still canít decide then flip a coin, but instead of paying attention to the result, pay more attention to how you feel about the result. Disappointed by ďheadsĒ? That will tell you what you actually WANT to build!

When youíre done with your choice, avoid second guessing...it will just sour you on the process. Commit and decide to love the build and when it gets frustrating (it will) commit to pushing through. Itís fun at the beginning, fun when major components are completed and fun when itís done. There is a LONG middle! Try and make that fun too.

Jeremy Constant
RV7A "Stella Luna" ECI IO-360 WW200RV Pmags 360hrs
VAF 2018 paid plus some for those who can't
Old 07-25-2018, 09:07 AM

I would also recommend sitting in each A/C and see if you (and your spouse) are OK with spending a few hrs in it. I was surprised at how much of a negative feedback I got from my wife on the back seat of the 8. I agree with Carl. The 14 is a jack of all trades, master of none.... that’s what drove my decision to build a 14....

Last edited by Yank : 07-25-2018 at 09:23 AM.