VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-11-2018, 05:58 AM

Default Engine upgrade - paperwork

I'm writing a series of blog post detailing an engine upgrade on my RV-8. The posts are not in any particular order.

This post highlights the importance of words - specifically the difference between "certified" and "certificated". In the eyes of the FAA, the difference can be 35 hours of test flying

http://elder.ninja/blog/p/7480

Last edited by humptybump : 07-11-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:59 AM

Glad you got the weight of the paperwork low enough for the 8 to get back in the air.

"God does not deduct from one's time on earth that which is spent in the air."
Old 07-13-2018, 07:21 AM

Basically the way the FAA uses the terms is:
Certified means that the device meets it's Type Certificate. Since our aircraft do not have a Type Certificate, typically, they are Certificated, meaning that they have been issued a Certificate.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 08-09-2018, 11:38 PM

Greatly appreciate you posting this. Huge help.
Thank you!
Old 08-12-2018, 09:13 PM

I read this a few months ago when you posted it, and have to wonder why we’re being given 40 hour initial phase 1’s for fresh builds instead of 25 hrs if we’re using “certificated” engine/prop combinations. Or are some RV builders successful in applying for and receiving the ahorter fly-off period?
As far as I’m aware, the o-360/Hartzell I’m putting on my 8 came right off of a Mooney. Does that mean I can apply for a 25 hour phase 1 period how would I go about proving it is a type-certificates combination?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-red View Post
... and have to wonder why we’re being given 40 hour initial phase 1’s for fresh builds instead of 25 hrs if we’re using “certificated” engine/prop combinations. ...
As far as I’m aware, the o-360/Hartzell I’m putting on my 8 came right off of a Mooney. ... how would I go about proving it is a type-certificates combination?
Look up the propeller's Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) and see what prop/engine combinations are approved.

For example, here is a link to the TCDS (P-920) for the Hartzell HC-C2Y series that are used on many RVs. It lists the approved Hartzell prop/engine combo's beginning on Page 9, "Table of Propeller – Engine Combinations".
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...920_Rev_38.pdf
But note the restrictions listed in the first paragraph of that page:

"The maximum and minimum propeller diameters that can be used from a vibration standpoint are shown below. No reduction below the minimum diameter listed is permissible, since this figure includes the diameter reduction allowable for repair purposes.

The engine models listed below are the configurations on the engine type certificate unless specifically stated otherwise. Modifications to the engine or airframe that alter the power of the engine models listed below during any phase of operation have the potential to increase propeller stresses and are not approved by this list. Such modifications include, but are not limited to, the addition of a turbocharger or turbonormalizer, increased boost pressure, increased compression ratio, increased RPM, altered ignition timing, electronic ignition, full authority digital engine controls (FADEC), or tuned induction or exhaust. Also, any change to the mass or stiffness of the crankshaft/counterweight assembly is not approved by this list."

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, the Lycoming engines that Van's sells are Experimental, and are not Type Certificated. They would not be eligible for a 25 hour Phase 1.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 08-12-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-red View Post
I read this a few months ago when you posted it, and have to wonder why we’re being given 40 hour initial phase 1’s for fresh builds instead of 25 hrs if we’re using “certificated” engine/prop combinations. Or are some RV builders successful in applying for and receiving the ahorter fly-off period?
As far as I’m aware, the o-360/Hartzell I’m putting on my 8 came right off of a Mooney. Does that mean I can apply for a 25 hour phase 1 period how would I go about proving it is a type-certificates combination?
I installed an engine and the prop off a Mooney with all the log books, and received a 25 Hr phase 1 program.