- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
I've never seen or heard Van's advise against spins in the RV-8. There is a section regarding RV-8 spin entry and recovery techniques on page 15-18 of the RV-8/-8A Construction Manual. (In that section, it does recommend that the RV-6/-6A and RV-7/-7A limit intentional spins to two turns or less, and that the RV-9/-9A is not intended for spins at all.)

In that section it does say, "Van's Aircraft Inc. does not consider spins to be a recreational aerobatic maneuver, and recommends that they not be casually undertaken."

Page 15-23 and -24 discusses aerobatics and entry speeds for various maneuvers.

You can purchase the plans and manual on a USB flash drive for the RV-8/8A using this link:
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...oduct=fd_plans
You may also want to peruse this article by Van, "An Aerobatic Epistle":
http://vansairforce.net/safety/AnAerobaticEpistle.pdf
"Van's Aircraft Inc. does not consider spins to be a recreational aerobatic maneuver, and recommends that they not be casually undertaken."
Right, that sentence I have understood that you should not spin deliberately. However, I am not a native english speaker, and might have misunderstood it. If so, it is very good, as I really want to spin until it is my second nature to feel it coming and stop it when needed.

Thanks for the advice, and also the links.

Is there not a way to just download the material (at a cost) rather than sending it physically? Always a hassle with customs and such. However, I really want the material on electronic media.

The article is a bit cut on the edges, I guess that's a scanning issue. I will have to guess the outer parts.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansR View Post
"Van's Aircraft Inc. does not consider spins to be a recreational aerobatic maneuver, and recommends that they not be casually undertaken."
Right, that sentence I have understood that you should not spin deliberately. However, I am not a native english speaker, and might have misunderstood it. If so, it is very good, as I really want to spin until it is my second nature to feel it coming and stop it when needed.
I do think you misunderstood. Spins in the RV are quite docile for the first two turns or so then they tend to accelerate which tends to disturb pilots who are unfamiliar with spins. Recovery from upright spins in the RV is quite simple and normal spin recovery techniques are all that is required. I would suggest that you get some dual instruction in spin and unusual attitude recovery procedures if you are new to aerobatics.

I think that Van's recommendation that spins "not be casually undertaken" implies that proper training or aerobatic experience is recommended before taking on spins in your RV.

Have fun. Be safe.
Track Me
VAF 2018 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 07-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronschreck View Post
I do think you misunderstood. Spins in the RV are quite docile for the first two turns or so then they tend to accelerate which tends to disturb pilots who are unfamiliar with spins. Recovery from upright spins in the RV is quite simple and normal spin recovery techniques are all that is required. I would suggest that you get some dual instruction in spin and unusual attitude recovery procedures if you are new to aerobatics.

I think that Van's recommendation that spins "not be casually undertaken" implies that proper training or aerobatic experience is recommended before taking on spins in your RV.

Have fun. Be safe.
Very well, I have overinterpreted the writing.

I have done some spins in gliders, and also properly recovered from unintentional spin, so I am not all new.

I look forward to do as many spins as is required to automatically respond correctly.