VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-25-2018, 09:39 AM

Mel,
I do not understand your post about attaching the stiffener to the bulkhead. On the 14 the stiffeners are not attached to the bulkhead as per plans. They run through the bulkheads.
Please explain more.
Thanks

RV-7A N1243A Sold
#140479 RV-14A N1479B Reserved
Old 06-25-2018, 11:34 AM

We have had some issues with the stiffeners in the flying RV14 that I built. Mel is correct that cracks may occur at the end of stiffeners that are not attached to the adjacent bulkhead. I first encountered this years ago when a friend installed stiffeners on the bottom of a RV6 to stop oil canning. After a short while cracks occurred on the bottom of the fuse. The same thing has happened on the RV14

This has occurred in the aft fuselage in ours, in two locations and is not the only aircraft that has experienced this. We passed this information on to Vans a few months ago and have been waiting for the engineers to come up with a fix.

This picture shows where they are on the lower aft fuselage. The cracks were stop drilled and you see safety wire sticking through just for reference as to where they are. The aircraft continues to fly, with no further cracks.

A fix will likely be some sort of bracket that will tie the stiffener to the bulkhead.

2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 06-25-2018, 11:37 AM

Since itís not structural perhaps just proseal and no rivets?
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 06-25-2018, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the post about the cracks. I did not understand how I could attach them. But my fix to add stiffeners will be put on hold, maybe as some suggested to Pro Seal them on, may be the way to go.

RV-7A N1243A Sold
#140479 RV-14A N1479B Reserved
Old 06-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Proseal will have the same effect. The problem occurs because the stiffener is bonded to the skin making them vibrate together. That vibration is now concentrated at the end of the stiffener. It vibrates as a unit and the bulkhead holds the skin rigid. If the stiffener is attached to the bulkhead, it forms a single unit.
In cases where the stiffener is continuous "through" the bulkhead, it's not a problem.
Not sure how to put it clearly in words, but I have seen quite a few skin cracks under these circumstances.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 06-25-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Since itís not structural perhaps just proseal and no rivets?
The cracks don't always occur at the rivet. Often the skin cracks at the end of the stiffener. So in that case proseal wouldn't change anything.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 06-26-2018, 12:08 AM

Oil canning isn't limited to the 14, I had a section in the aft fuselage of my -8A that would go 'thump' after shutdown as it relaxed post-flight. Here's an interesting read for anyone curious or concerned about oil canning in RVs:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=36763

One thing to keep in mind is that the skin distortion in flight is hard to see on a painted airplane, so unless you leave it polished and the lighting is just right, you generally won't need to worry about it ruining that nice air-to-air photo you frame and hang on the wall. Look at the dozens of pics of painted RV-14s online and try to find any other example where the oil canning is visible either on ground or in flight...

Regarding the fix for the cracked rivets at the unsupported ends of the bottom skin stiffeners, I'm keenly interested in a fix from Vans (or I'll come up with something myself). The RV-8 is notorious for cracks in the exhaust ramp area and my -8A was no exception, but I was hoping to avoid cracking issues on the -14 airframe...
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...

Last edited by czechsix : 06-26-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: minor wording
Old 06-26-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
We have had some issues with the stiffeners in the flying RV14 that I built. Mel is correct that cracks may occur at the end of stiffeners that are not attached to the adjacent bulkhead. I first encountered this years ago when a friend installed stiffeners on the bottom of a RV6 to stop oil canning. After a short while cracks occurred on the bottom of the fuse. The same thing has happened on the RV14

This has occurred in the aft fuselage in ours, in two locations and is not the only aircraft that has experienced this. We passed this information on to Vans a few months ago and have been waiting for the engineers to come up with a fix.

This picture shows where they are on the lower aft fuselage. The cracks were stop drilled and you see safety wire sticking through just for reference as to where they are. The aircraft continues to fly, with no further cracks.

A fix will likely be some sort of bracket that will tie the stiffener to the bulkhead.

Tom, you mention knowing of other aircraft that have experienced cracks like those in your -14...are you referring specifically to other -14's or other RV's in general? I'm curious to know if cracks are appearing in other -14s, are they in the exact same location? It looks like yours cracked at the aft-most rivet in two of the stiffeners, but there are half a dozen J-channel stiffeners in the tailcone that are unsupported (no direct connection to a bulkhead) at the forward end...no issues there??
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 06-26-2018, 05:30 AM

Mark, we were told that this had happened on other RV14s, both nose and tail wheel models. That is all the information that was supplied by Vanís.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 06-26-2018, 08:42 AM

Default Oil Canning

So we just riveted the Aft Side Fuse Skin on this past weekend. I am wondering what direction to take here. We would have very easy access at this point, not having the Top Skins on. Making dimples might be a little challenging though.

My biggest fear is not knowing what I don't know. Therefore we have had strict adherence to the plans. I am not sure what path to take. I would hate to have to climb back inside the completed plane to add stiffeners. Thoughts?

Thanks
Shane Barker #140351
Commercial/Instrument
EAA/AOPA
RV-14a Emp. completed and stored
Wings Skins Attached