- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
I agree.... the one from Spruce is actually sold by Anti-Splat Aero (the Ultimate Gust Lock). It is lightweight, locks all three axes, and there's little chance you would take off with it installed. Highly recommended. I always fly with mine. FWIW: The rudder is the first component built by a new inexperienced builder, and the most fragile flight control surface on an RV. It always needs to be protected from gusts.

RV-12 builder assist and phase 1 flight test
EAA/AOPA/Vans Air Force 2018 Supporter
Old 06-20-2018, 05:14 AM

I like the anti-splat gust lock but it will become loose if you don't add some extensions. Even these are not long enough. I plan to make them longer. The extensions fit on top.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
I like the anti-splat gust lock but it will become loose if you don't add some extensions. Even these are not long enough. I plan to make them longer. The extensions fit on top.

.Feel I need to step in here if you are having a problem like you stated! You don't have the unit adjusted properly if this is taking place, or there is another problem causing this. If properly installed and adjusted to your aircraft, this can not happen! With 1,000 lb. back pull on the stick, the gust-lock will not loosen or come out. We now have about 2500 in service in RVs and this is not a problem. If you like Steve, just give me a call, and I will replace your unit with an un-altered one, and help you with solving the issue you are having. Thanks, Allan..
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 AM

I think I'm in Allan Nimmo's camp here, and I believe the issue that Steve may have been seeing was caused by the rudder pedal contact points not bottoming fully on the rudder pedals, likely due to the thickness of the powder coat on the pedal frames. I had this problem initially with my 9A, but after about 5 or 6 installations of the gust lock the contact points had become burnished and it's a firm but full slip-on to the rudder pedals. My continued experience with the gust lock has been excellent.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfTech View Post
….Feel I need to step in here if you are having a problem like you stated! You don't have the unit adjusted properly if this is taking place, or there is another problem causing this. If properly installed and adjusted to your aircraft, this can not happen! With 1,000 lb. back pull on the stick, the gust-lock will not loosen or come out. We now have about 2500 in service in RVs and this is not a problem. If you like Steve, just give me a call, and I will replace your unit with an un-altered one, and help you with solving the issue you are having. Thanks, Allan..
thanks for the offer but I'm OK with it as is except I need to make the extensions a bit longer. what I found is that with a strong gust the downwind side becomes loose and drops off the bar. then if there is a wind reversal the opposite side will drop and the rudder becomes loose. the extensions prevent this from occurring. perhaps mine is not adjusted exactly since I needed to make a new rod since the first one bent because of high winds. I was lucky on that because there was no wind reversal. overall, I'm happy with gust lock.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 06-20-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
I think I'm in Allan Nimmo's camp here, and I believe the issue that Steve may have been seeing was caused by the rudder pedal contact points not bottoming fully on the rudder pedals, likely due to the thickness of the powder coat on the pedal frames. I had this problem initially with my 9A, but after about 5 or 6 installations of the gust lock the contact points had become burnished and it's a firm but full slip-on to the rudder pedals. My continued experience with the gust lock has been excellent.
Mine was a bit too tight also. I lightly sanded the inside of the radius on the gust lock where it contacts the rudder pedals. I'm happy with it though.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:37 PM

Default Rudder Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer2017 View Post
Last week, we were on our way from Logan, UT - KLGU to the AOPA Fly-in at KMSO and stopped overnight to visit a friend in Lewiston, ID - KLWS. The plane was parked and tied down with rudder, aileron and elevator locks in place when a big storm came thru overnight in the opposite direction of the usual prevailing wind (from the tail of the plane). The gust lock (a u-shaped wire) was turned into a pretzel and the wire severed at the rudder. The rudder suffered a hole on the left side from being driven against the elevator and a dent on the right from the same problem. The bottom six rivets in the trailing edge were ripped loose leaving the holes on the left larger than those on the right so it can't just be riveted back together. We patched it up enough to get back to KLGU but the question now is whether to repair the damage or just order a new rudder kit and replace the rudder? We didn't build the plane so building a rudder would be a first effort. It is flyable now with Gorilla tape over the hole and temporary bolts to hold the trailing edge together. Reskining seems like more work than building new. Advice??
This happened to my dad's 7A while he was visiting us from out of state, and I was able to loan him my completed rudder (from my RV-9A project). I ordered in new skins from Vans and then rebuilt it for him after he flew home, and a few months later he flew down again for a visit and we swapped them out. This isn't a big deal, and if you haven't done this before just get with a local guy who has built an RV rudder before, and he/she will probably be happy to show you how to knock it out in short order.

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A / RV-3A sold
Old 06-20-2018, 05:40 PM

A big thumbs up for the AntiSplat gust lock.

https://antisplataero.com/products/ultimate-gust-lock
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction
Old 06-21-2018, 04:10 AM

Default Storm

I had the Ultimate gust lock on my plane when a storm hit. The winds were gusting to 50kts. I was afraid of what i would find when I got to the plane. The gust lock held but the bar bent a little. It was still usable but hard to slide in and out. I called Antisplat and they send me a new bar right away. No damage to the plane. I highly recommend their gust lock
Old 06-21-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer2017 View Post
The bottom six rivets in the trailing edge were ripped loose leaving the holes on the left larger than those on the right so it can't just be riveted back together. .... It is flyable now with Gorilla tape over the hole and temporary bolts to hold the trailing edge together.
Returning to the OP's problem...

May I add a caution? Those temporary bolts in the trailing edge shift the rudder's CG aft, decreasing flutter margin, so I'd suggest careful speed limiting until the rudder is replaced.

Oh, and my vote is replace with a new rudder.