Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2018, 05:26 AM

I am making light, sarcastically, of their (Uavionix) website's updates at the time of posting.

Funny, not one aviation publication publishes any of this info.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:52 PM

We've been made aware of the issue and are trying to isolate the cause. We are conducting flight testing and will accept logs of data from customers.
We’d like to get Foreflight logs so we can review the behavior. It is a bit of a process but it will give us a detailed look at what is happening. We can also replay the flight on our iPad to see your exact experience and see what the echoUAT was sending to Foreflight when the traffic was disappearing.

Before we delve into the logging please verify your firmware versions.
You should have the latest transceiver release 2.4.15, system 3.26 and WiFi 1.3.1

Here is the address to the support page to check your firmware and/or update it. The links for the firmware are listed under “Support Articles.”

To log echoUAT data in ForeFlight.

1. When connected to the echoUAT tap the settings (gear icon) in ForeFlight.

2. Then tap the ADS-B or echoUAT entry under Devices.

3.Then enable logging, note this is different from the normal flight logging. This feature must be enabled for us to receive meaningful data.

After enabling logging please fly a flight and note the time you see a target disappear. We can then review the log and determine why the aircraft disappeared.

In order to send the log file to us you'll need to connect the iPad to your PC or Mac and open iTunes.

1. Open iTunes with the iPad connected.

2. Click on the Device icon

3. Click on File Sharing> ForeFlight and select the latest GDL90 Log file. It should have the date of your flight as part of the filename

4. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click "Save to".

5. Select a location on your PC or Mac so you can retrieve the file.

6. After saving the file, attach it to an email and send it to support@uavionix.com.

If you would like this logging step by step with graphics/screenshots of the process please email kurt@uavionix.com.

Our engineers will review the log file so we can determine why the traffic is disappearing.

When we understand exactly what the issue is we will post the solution.
We greatly appreciate your support and we will stand behind our products.

Thank you,

Kurt
uAvionix Support
Old 06-11-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt1 View Post
We've been made aware of the issue and are trying to isolate the cause. We are conducting flight testing and will accept logs of data from customers.

Our engineers will review the log file so we can determine why the traffic is disappearing.

When we understand exactly what the issue is we will post the solution.
We greatly appreciate your support and we will stand behind our products.

Thank you,

Kurt
uAvionix Support
Good to see you finally came up on voice. Looking forward to reading the posted solution here on VAF.
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 06-11-2018, 10:34 AM

Default reliable

My Echo, usually flown out of Prescott, home of ERAU west is working well.
No aircraft gets anywhere close to mine without being reported. Period.
Now, having said that.... there are lots of targets I pay no attention to.
I have been using ADS-B far longer than most. I was testing the concept in Alaska during the Capstone project. These days, I fly over Phoenix class B frequently. If I don't filter by both altitude and range selection, I can have thirty targets presented on my screen. Most are meaningless. I am only concerned if a piece of aluminum is headed my way... and on a collision course. Part of teaching instrument flying has always been scan, evaluate and react. And tune out distractions. I have seen the plots and technical reports analyzed by uAvionix recently. There seem to be some clear situations where radar coverage and or ground stations are not clearly line of site.
The company also seems to be dedicating resources in a timely manner to keep the hardware and software working quite well. Posting on this forum... maybe not so often. I am glad to see Kurt jump in, as members here want to see what is happening.
I look forward to the FAA blessing the hardware for certified planes as well, which will put uAvionix firmly on the map as a serious player in the avionics world. I regret the behavior of Navworx, but I cannot change anything in the past. Anyone who has a specific question should feel free to PM me at any time. I read updates daily. Cheers and have a great week.

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes.Helicopter rated, balloon instructor, seaplanes and for grins, Phantom Drone pilot. Instructor for air medical and law enforcement tactical radio systems. Fly my RV9A to work every week. Janitor when and as needed.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:02 PM

For Kurt, thanks for working on this. I don't use Foreflight so I can't send logs. I do use my GRT to filter traffic by altitude, but I would wish that either the Echo or GRT filter by range. I have no need to see traffic more than (pick a number) 15 or 20 miles away. Get rid of all those traffic targets beyond that range. They just garbage up my map display. Thanks again for working on this.
IO-360
Dual GRT HX
Dual Adaptive AHARS
GNS 480 Navigator
Dues paid 2017
Old 06-14-2018, 02:14 PM

New software is out for GRT that will filter by range the traffic target display. Already had the ability to filter by altitude. Will be fun to see if any of this helps with the occasional disappearing traffic problem.
IO-360
Dual GRT HX
Dual Adaptive AHARS
GNS 480 Navigator
Dues paid 2017
Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 PM

Default Same Symptoms, Two Different Devices

This disappearing traffic issue is unfortunate and unnerving. I’ve seen it since I’ve installed the Echo and on two different units. I’ve had it happen the last three times that I’ve flown and the symptoms were very similar.

First of all, I have all the software updated on the uAvionix units.

The first device I saw it on is FlyQ on an iPad Mini. My most recent two flights with that set up are as follows:

I was climbing out of KLVK with no targets nearby displayed. I was at almost 3000 feet and looked up to find a Cessna right above me, maybe 200-300 feet above me, same direction. There was never a target displayed on my iPad.

On my next flight I was flying near the town of Aromas, between KCHV and KWVI. Again, there were no targets displayed near me. Suddenly a target popped up to my left less than 1/4 mile away and 400 feet above me. Since it was approaching me at a 90 degree angle on nearly a collision course, I descended. I got a very good look at the underside of the aircraft as it passed over me.

And here was my experience today using my brand new iFly 740b:

I was flying between KLVK and KRHV. Again, no traffic was indicated near me then something popped up in front of me, less than a quarter mile, then it disappeared. A few seconds later I saw it out the window slightly below me, heading towards me. As I passed, that airplane’s target popped up again along with another plane which I never did see.

As I read somewhere here, close targets do indeed appear to be most affected.

The iFly looks to have the capability of recording ADS-B data. This was the first flight I made with it but unfortunately I didn’t have data logging turned on. I will certainly keep it turned on for every flight from here on out and will send it to uAvionix.

I’m assuming that uAvionnix hadn’t seen these behaviors during their test flights. Very puzzling. I really hope that they can solve this issue soon.

The Navworx unit didn’t have these issues but as was pointed out, had some sort of internal filtering.

Pink slip issued: 5/7/12

First flight: 5/28/12, Memorial Day.

Phase I Complete: 8/18/12!

2018 donation: complete

Last edited by ArVeeNiner : 06-18-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:38 PM

Default Issue Duplicated at uAvionix

I sent Ryan from uAvionix a description of what happened to me and he responded as follows:

Thank you for your feedback, I do understand your frustration. We have recently been able to reproduce similar issues in our own flight testing. We are working on a solution to resolve the traffic appearing and disappearing.

I hope to have an update for you this week.

Pink slip issued: 5/7/12

First flight: 5/28/12, Memorial Day.

Phase I Complete: 8/18/12!

2018 donation: complete
Old 06-18-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArVeeNiner View Post
I sent Ryan from uAvionix a description of what happened to me and he responded as follows:

Thank you for your feedback, I do understand your frustration. We have recently been able to reproduce similar issues in our own flight testing. We are working on a solution to resolve the traffic appearing and disappearing.

I hope to have an update for you this week.
Thanks for the update, Kelly. I can report that with the latest software update, filtering for range, I’m getting less (though not zero) blinking on my GRT Sport SX being fed by a GRT SafeFly/Echo combo.

Nice to know that uAvionix is taking this seriously. As disappointing as their business practices were, NavWorx did know how to process a traffic data stream.
600 hours as of April 9, 2018
Old 06-18-2018, 05:18 PM

I'm using the echo for the navworx fix. At first I had the same issues with frequent appearing and disappearing of targets. After Uavionix's software upgrades I thought it had solved that problem. I can say with no doubt it did help a lot. After reading the updates on this thread, I have paid closer attention and find I do at times see the disappearing of targets. It's great to know that Uavionix is on top of this. I have full confidence they will have it fine tuned soon... hopefully before OSH.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$