- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-07-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotyoung View Post
Joe,

This is a question. The battery wire on the regulator, on mine a white wire, comes from the master relay. So when the master is turned, it has power, when the master is off, it does not have power
True. Only as long as the engine is not running

Quote:
But that battery wire is directly connected to the generator wire
through the master contractor
Quote:
so are you saying when the engine is running and the generator is producing power, even after shutting the master off, it will still have power on it?
Yes the battery is now disconnected but the alternator output is feeding the sense/control pin of the regulator. The only way to turn it off now is to bring the charging coils to 0 volts.

Quote:
If that is the case, it seems to me a simple fix is to run that jumper wire from one lug to the other throiugh the one side of the master switch.
Like Vans designed it...before the second pole of the master switch was jumped out with the “fix”. Wouldn’t it be easier to replace the fuse?

Mike

Last edited by MMiller : 08-07-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
If that is the case, it seems to me a simple fix is to run that jumper wire from one lug to the other through the one side of the master switch.
Agreed. That is the way that it was wired before Eric from Van's suggested that you bypass the master switch and fuse.
The safest way to fix it is to put it back the way it was and replace the fuse.
I agree with everything that Mike Miller posted above.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:12 AM

Default voltage regulator

Eric was not just giving me a work around. He sent me a picture of the new Silent Hektik mod and it is just jumped from one pin to the other. The only problem with replacing the fuse is it has to be send back to Vans as it is an internal fuse soldered to the circuit board.

Since Van's is now recommending the jumper method, at least on the Silent Hektik ones, it seems to me that they have decided the fuse is not necessary. So my plan is next time I have the avionics compartment opened, I am going to run the small yellow wire that supplies 12 volts to turn on the regulator through the master switch. Then I will be able to shut it off, it will just not have the fuse protection.

I have ordered a Silent Hektik regulator. I decided it is worth the cost because it has built in over-voltage protection. When I get it, I will probably run the wire through the switch.

Thanks for your comments. I do learn from them.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:40 PM

John, you are correct, I looked at 46-19 Rev-1. Vanís no longer disables the alternator when the Master is turned off. Here is a copy of the hook-up;

I donít know why Vanís would want to separate the battery from the bus when opening the master switch, but leave the alternator on line feeding the bus. It doesn't make sense and might be an oversight on their part. I suspect it may have something to do with commonality of parts with the 912-IS version and the dual regulators.

Mike
Old 08-08-2018, 07:10 PM

Default Voltage Regulator

That is the diagram I was refering to. It is in the instructions for the modification kit to install the Silent Hektik regulator on the original RV-12.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:47 PM

Default Voltage Regulator

There is a post, that I can't find again, on this forum from a gentlemen who had smoke in the avionics area in his RV-12 with the Ducati regulator mounted in the cockpit on the passenger side. I don't remember if he shut the Master switch off or not, but I remember he pulled the 30 amp fuse and the smoke continued. He then pulled the wires off the regulator and the smoke stopped.

He put up pictures of his conversion to the Silent Hektik regulator and his new blast tube setup. It was a very nice setup and I plan on copying it when I receive my Silent Hektik regulator.

I need to start bookmarking these posts when I find them.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:06 AM

I have contacted Van's Aircraft about the voltage regulator wiring. I was told that regulator terminals "C" and "B" are connected together on the RV-12is per Rotax documentation. Face to face meetings between Van's and Rotax confirmed that wiring. Rotax did not give a reason for eliminating a switch in regulator terminal "C" circuit. I assume that Rotax wants to assure that there will be electrical power available as a backup to operate the fuel pump and ignition if the primary engine electrical source fails.
If it is desired to disable the charging system while flying, the 30 amp fuse can be pulled.