- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2014, 06:04 PM

Default Small Gotcha and question

The small gottcha I have is while drilling page 29-04, step 7 , #20 holes, two per side line up with the AN6-46A bolts. I nicked two places per bolt on the two bolts that were in alignment. Should have looked closer. Oh well, my first replacement parts on the build so far.
Question, on page 29-07 , figure #3 calls out 6, CR3213-4-05. Anyone know why we just do not use all AN470AD4-8's like the center group holes? Also the only rivets close to that are listed as CR3213-4-5 on the inventory list (I do believe, I should have checked again before posting , but the list is in the hangar) Typo?
Thanks Ron
Old 12-23-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
Question, on page 29-07 , figure #3 calls out 6, CR3213-4-05. Anyone know why we just do not use all AN470AD4-8's like the center group holes? Also the only rivets close to that are listed as CR3213-4-5 on the inventory list (I do believe, I should have checked again before posting , but the list is in the hangar) Typo?
Thanks Ron
It should say CR3213-4-5. This is part of a plans change that is currently working through the revision process.

The reason the Cherry rivets are used is this is a very high stress joint. Particularly on the tail dragger.
They are being used selectively because the Cherry rivets are actually stronger than the AN470 rivets.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 12-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Thank you. Not knowing anything I would have thought that a AN470AD4 rivet would have been stronger, good to know, I will install the Cherry rivets tonight (I held off on those holes just in case).
Old 12-23-2014, 06:36 PM

I thought the CR3213-4-5 were on the inventory list but I could not find them tonight. Anybody find them in there inventory?
Old 12-24-2014, 04:35 PM

You should be getting them soon. They are mailing them to the people who are missing them.
You should probably order a few spares of various CherryMax rivets. I've probably had 3 so far where the anvil didn't pop in all the way the first time.
Also, I got some this week but the Vans paperwork that came with them said CR3213-4-3....although they sent -5's. So there are a couple issues in getting those parts out. But, CR3213-4-5's work perfectly I'm that location. It's interesting to me that this kit indeed uses a fair amount of CherryMax rivets. I do like that, knowing they are stronger, so it's nice to see they engineered it tough. Just remember, if Vans says to use CherryMax, there is probably a reason.,,
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 12-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks Tim, I just read up on Van's Cherry rivet installation the other evening and to the best I could see mine set correctly so far. The lock appears to set flush with the head and the tail appears with in limits and nicely formed. I do not have any experience with Cherry rivets.
It would be so easy for Van's to drop the builders a heads up e-mail on things like this, but I guess they like us doing the searching.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:41 PM

Just received my CR3213-4-5 today and had no luck setting the two I tried. All the other Cherry rivets (RV-14 experience only) popped twice on each rivet. With these rivets (other cherry as well) on the manufactured head side before setting there is a tail made up of the steel mandrel material that sticks out 3/16" beyond the alum. On my other rivets this tail is pulled up into the alum., most of it at least, I think the bulb on the end doesn't.
With my two tonight that tail is still sticking out like it is before I pull it. I'm pulling straight on the rivet. Any help would be appreciated. Anyone else have this problem with the rivets Van's just sent out?
Ron
Old 01-02-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
Just received my CR3213-4-5 today and had no luck setting the two I tried. All the other Cherry rivets (RV-14 experience only) popped twice on each rivet. With these rivets (other cherry as well) on the manufactured head side before setting there is a tail made up of the steel mandrel material that sticks out 3/16" beyond the alum. On my other rivets this tail is pulled up into the alum., most of it at least, I think the bulb on the end doesn't.
With my two tonight that tail is still sticking out like it is before I pull it. I'm pulling straight on the rivet. Any help would be appreciated. Anyone else have this problem with the rivets Van's just sent out?
Ron
I recommend you first start with construction manual Section 5, and use that information to try and determine if you really do have a problem.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-02-2015, 07:14 PM

I will re-read it again tomorrow when I'm in the hangar. I just read it a week or two ago , along with watching the EAA video on-line for setting cherry max rivets and don't think it showed the tail sticking out like that. I check out that video again now. I let you know.
Thanks Ron
Old 01-03-2015, 07:29 AM

Rivets were definitely not set properly. Discovered my mistake. The first gun I tried, the smaller tip hole would not fit so I used the next size up. It must have been too large. I tried another gun this morning that had a hole that was tight , but the stem still slid thru. All rivets set properly now.
Ron