- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2018, 10:06 AM

Default Now...the next question!

So, here i am a year and half later and the fuse is still waiting for the rotisserrie. That's what happens when you make two major moves, have two different shoulder surgeries, AND.... retire from my airline...

Question now.... How do I safely get this QB fuse up onto this Harbor Freight rotisserrie?????
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 PM

I just lift mine. I built a "frame" for the firewall out of angle iron, attached through the engine mount holes (drilled undersize for AN3 bolts). The frame consists of two short upright pieces on the outer edges of the firewall (ie one between bottom and top right, another between bottom and top left), which are then tied together with two longer horizontal pieces, spaced to bolt to the mount plate on the engine stand.

When not on the rotisseries, my fuse sits on two saw horses I built for this purpose. The forward sawhorse is short, maybe a foot tall or so, and the rear one is much taller. The heights are such that I can position the fuselage on them and have it be at roughly level flight attitude.

Anyway, with the fuse on these horses, the mount plate for the engine stand is just a few inches lower than it needs to be to mate with the stand. I can roll the stand in place, grab my angle iron frame with both hands, lift it up, and then nudge the stand forward with my leg when it's aligned with the mount.

It's easier with two people, but definitely doable with just one.

Some blurb about my rotisserie setup can be seen here: http://rv.squawk1200.net/2016/07/22/...-a-rotisserie/
Old 08-11-2018, 07:20 AM

Thanks for sending that link to your build website. One picture is worth a thousand words as they say. Looks like you used some blocks of wood to set the angle pieces on to move them a little distance from the firewall, presumably to allow you the ability to set that angle in that fashion. It also keeps the firewall from getting marred up as well from the angle.

One thing you did mention was that when the fuse is not on the rotisserrie, that you have those sawhorses to set it on. Do I understand that you don't always keep the fuse on the rotisserrie at this point? Perhaps after all the required floorwork is done and you're actually inside the cockpit doing other things, that the sawhorses are a much more stable platform...

I suppose too that with some castors on the rear sawhorse, that the whole thing can be rolled around in the shop a bit..