Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2018, 04:11 PM

Wonder why they don't simply make those 2 variable user configurable. I would like to see further than 20 miles when I'm out in the middle of nowhere with no traffic. It should be easy for them to allow you to set user defined limits, and then set a "max intruders" setting that is settable from 10 to 32 or something like that.
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 08-10-2018, 04:31 PM

Honestly I couldn't care less about the 4th or 5th farthest target from my position.

I agree that we should be able to set how many returns we want to bother with. If some people like to see the totally obscured moving map like we had at Oshkosh, then more power to them.... hockey pucks don't matter at all when I'm in the pattern with 4 or 5 airplanes.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:41 AM

Anyone have any new TECHNICAL news on this issue?

(Moderators!!!! pls dont lock this thread - its the only tech one we have on the Echo and thats still important for the community......).
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 08-21-2018, 12:22 PM

I still see targets disappearing at times. Not nearly as bad as before their software upgrade. It's still frustrating though. I had complete faith in the
EXP Navworx box I had. It performed flawlessly the entire time I used it. You can't help but to aquire a feeling of "faith" in your equipment. I don't have that feeling with the echo UAT. I do hope they'll continue to work on this issue.
I'm not a tech guy at all and can't begin to understand how it works. It seems that programming the software to exclude any targets 20 miles out would decrease the electronic workload. But...... it seems this is some basic internal flaw in either the hardware or software. I mean other companies have software that never drops targets... so you have to conclude there is something or a lack of something in the echo causing this.
Hoping they'll come out with something soon.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$
Old 08-21-2018, 02:36 PM

I emailed Kurt on 8-15-18 at uAvionix to ask if I could participate in Beta testing. His reply below:

We got some feedback from other testers and we are making yet another tweak. It's getting there and I appreciate your willingness to help. I'll shoot you a link when the next version is ready, with instructions for updating.
We will need logging so the engineers can go over them and replay the flight as well.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 402

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 08-21-2018, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the update Jim! Nice to know.
VAF supporter $$$
Old 08-23-2018, 07:35 PM

Intesting that others with Navworx have reported better filtering. I did the AMOC update on my -600B and get clean bills of health from the ADS-B reports. But I also get disappearing airplanes all the time.

I believe that much of this is just when I drop below or go outside rebroadcast range, so I'm losing direct broadcast from aircraft with 1090MHz transmitters. But it also happens where there should be good radar and rebroadcast coverage. For example, in or near PDX class C, 3000 or above, sometimes ATC will call out an airliner (like, close enough I can see which airline), and I never see it on my screen. Why wouldn't I see all of those guys from the rebroadcast?
Old 09-07-2018, 12:28 AM

I just saw Randall's post above. I flew the navworx EXP I think about 18 months before having to remove it. I never even once saw a single target disappear weather I was flying in my local area or a cross country. With the Uavionix, I see
targets disappearing, (or not ever showing up), frequently enough that's it's noticeable.
When I lose targets on the echo, I'm flying in the same areas and altitudes I did with navworx which as I mentioned never lost a target.
VAF supporter $$$

Last edited by Paul 5r4 : 09-07-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6n6r View Post
Intesting that others with Navworx have reported better filtering. I did the AMOC update on my -600B and get clean bills of health from the ADS-B reports. But I also get disappearing airplanes all the time.

I believe that much of this is just when I drop below or go outside rebroadcast range, so I'm losing direct broadcast from aircraft with 1090MHz transmitters. But it also happens where there should be good radar and rebroadcast coverage. For example, in or near PDX class C, 3000 or above, sometimes ATC will call out an airliner (like, close enough I can see which airline), and I never see it on my screen. Why wouldn't I see all of those guys from the rebroadcast?
If your configuratoin tells the ground station that you receive 1090, they won't rebroadcast any 1090 traffic for you. It is assumed you get it air to air. They only rebroadcast traffic on the frequencies that you are not capable of receiving (your unit tells them this based upon your configuration). They broadcast non-adsb traffic (transponder equipped) to everyone.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
If your configuratoin tells the ground station that you receive 1090, they won't rebroadcast any 1090 traffic for you. It is assumed you get it air to air. They only rebroadcast traffic on the frequencies that you are not capable of receiving (your unit tells them this based upon your configuration). They broadcast non-adsb traffic (transponder equipped) to everyone.
Makes sense except as it turns out I don't get 1090 directly on the NAVWORX, only UAT. That was a mistake in my post, sorry! Should have said:
Quote:
I believe that much of this is just when I drop below or go outside rebroadcast range, so I'm losing rebroadcast from aircraft with 1090MHz transmitters