Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2018, 03:06 PM

If you want clean lines with no adhesive cleanup necessary, 3M 233 tape works great for most surfaces, with electrical tape coming in handy for complex curves.
Just beware of "springback" with the electrical tape if you leave it for too long. If you are worried about residue on transparencies and such, a bit of prist or wax degreaser.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 View Post
Thanks for your reply! I have to note however, that your assertion that MEK causes cancer is unsupported by evidence. It is not listed by any agency that I could find as a carcinogen. Even California's Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment does not list is as a carcinigen.

I have not found any evidence that MEK (more properly known as butanone) is the subject of any general bans in commerce. Yes, it requires the use of appropriate PPE as it has some health effects, but causing cancer is not one that has been supported by evidence.

I don't wish to be harsh here, but it pays us to be aware of facts and not fearmongering. I don't accuse you of it, but there is lots of unfounded fear about "chemicals" out there, and plenty of people who don't care to know the facts--only to sow fear and discontent. As a chemical professional, I have unfortunately been seeing this my whole career and try to fight it when I can.
MEK is no longer available from the tool crib at several places I contracted with including Northrop, Gulfstream, Eclipse Jet and when I worked at American Airlines at DFW they no longer stocked it. I did more than a few metal repairs at American. That is pretty much a effective ban when you can’t get it. Hardly fear mongering.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy123 View Post
MEK is no longer available from the tool crib at several places I contracted with including Northrop, Gulfstream, Eclipse Jet and when I worked at American Airlines at DFW they no longer stocked it. I did more than a few metal repairs at American. That is pretty much a effective ban when you can’t get it. Hardly fear mongering.
I understand that some companies have chosen not to use it, and some of the reason for that is VOC regulations, but it is not listed as a carcinogen.

I remember back when I was in college, there was a lot of fear over the expected cancer risks associated with various organic solvents, even acetone, but those fears have been allayed largely through better and more testing over the years. Unfortunately, old assumptions have been slow to give way to new evidence.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:39 AM

Default MEK

Zinc chromate, triclorithane, MEK that were common in aerospace are no longer available to the mechanics actually working on aircraft for a living.
I recall a skydrol rep telling us how harmless it is.
Funny how the guys selling and not actually using these substances all think they’re harmless.
You are free to bathe in MEK if you choose to, enjoy yourself.