Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-08-2018, 01:44 PM

Default Minimum sizes RV-14 workshop

Hi Builders,

I'm planning to build an RV-14 (tail wheel) and am wondering what should be the minimum ceiling height of my workshop so you can work comfortably. Also I need to know how big the door has to be to get the fuselage and empennage in and out.
Do you have to fix the gear to the fuselage early in the process? This would result in a higher door. I guess installing the engine and doing firewall forward stuff without gear and attached empennage is quite awful?

What area should the workshop have so you can build comfortably and how much storage space do I need?

Thanks!

Best,
Malte

EDIT: Probably I'm looking for recommended sizes and not minimum sizes! Maybe a minimum size for the door. But the rest should be recommended sizes - I don't want to setup a Hobbit workshop

Last edited by mjanduda : 08-08-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:02 PM

The horizontal stab will not fit out of a standard garage door, however, you can leave it off until final assembly.

A two-person garage is best, but plenty are and have built in a much smaller space.

We built ours very comfortably in a two car basement garage that we finished into a shop.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 08-08-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
A two-person garage is best, but plenty are and have built in a much smaller space.
As I'm in Europe and we have small cars I'm afraid our garages are smaller than the US ones. So how many feet are those?

Malte
Old 08-08-2018, 04:00 PM

Fellow European building in a 1.5x car garage. Itís tight and I have the tailcone and QB wings in the garage as well. All other finished parts are in the hangar ( eldest sonís vacated bedroom). I test fitted the fin when finishing the tailcone on trestles with no problems.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:52 AM

My garage is 4x7 m with a storage area in the back that is 4x2m. This has been adequate but less would have been difficult. After the engine was mounted I have had to have the tail going thru the door to the storage area.

The gear on the tail wheel version with the fairing attachment points in place but without the fairings mounted is about 242cm. So to be able to role the aircraft straight out the door, it has to be 250cm. (Mine is 225cm so I will have to move it out at an angle and then drag it sideways to get it out, I have done it once and it was easy then but that was without the engine mounted.)

You really want a shop with a separate room for the compressor. If you can store the wings somewhere else when they are done, my version of an ideal shop size would be something like 6x10m with a place for the compressor outside of this area. Anything bigger is just a waste.
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 08-09-2018, 09:02 AM

The basic two car garage in the US is 20' X 20'. 400 square feet. Standard size garage doors in the US are 12' X 7', 14' X 7', 16' X 7' and the largest door is usually 18' X 7'. These are "standard" door sizes.
You will need to convert to meters.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:40 PM

I'm building in a 19 ft. X 20 ft. garage in my condo. I have to use half of the garage to park my car, but I can move it out to use the entire garage on occasion (i.e. when I have to set up my spray booth to prime parts).

Before I ordered my empennage kit, I spent about 18 months on and off planning the logistics of the build. I figured I can build the entire fuselage, wings and tail feathers, hang the engine and prop, do all the firewall forward work and electrical wiring while in the garage. There's enough space to make it work.

Of course, the vertical and horizontal stabs doesn't get installed, nor the wings. I'll defer that until I move it to my EAA chapter hanger to do the final assembly.

I modified the build sequence a bit to accommodate my available space. For example, I'm not going to assemble the tail cone until after I finish the main fuselage. I can't afford to have the tail cone taking up space I need to build the wings.

As for storage, I installed overhead racks and the wings will eventually reside up there (without surfaces installed because they won't fit with them in place). You can hang the empennage components on the wall or maybe bring them in the house. You can see the setup in my build log (link in my signature below).
RV-14A Kit#140433
Completed: Vertical Stab/Horizontal Stab
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Empennage (Elevator)
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid on 2 November 2017
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)

Last edited by StressedOut : 08-09-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Thanks to all of you for your valuable input!

Malte