- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post

The difference between 1550 and 1775 rpm, having very little difference in landing performance...once set up on stabilized approach (a slightly higher nose attitude)...just my two cents. I say again...pay attention to cable set up on carbs!

Edit: Sorry for the thread drift guys...just my passion for “Smooth Running Engines”...didn’t want to get your knickers in a twist Scott!
Then I guess you and Roger have your own opinion that no one else has ever publicly agreed with, and if you look through the forums you will find that many have disagreed with.

Nothing twisted here....
Just trying to save people money from mistakenly following bad advice.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 07-14-2018, 10:00 PM

About 4 months ago I posted that I increased my idle screws to 2 turns open as suggested by a U.K. blog to try to eliminate roughness at flight idle. After about 70 Hours I can report it made no difference in the slight roughness at flight idle and it increased my fuel consumption by about 10%. I have returned the screws to the ROTAX recommended 1 1/2 turns. The slight roughness is unchanged, but the fuel consumption dropped back to what it was.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:13 PM

Getting back to the original point of this thread: does the lack of an announcement on this topic from Van's mean the three bladed prop is not going to be offered for the 12iS?

I've gone back and re-read all of Scott's posts on this thread. It sounds like there's little/no performance benefits to the 3 bladed prop. There is a benefit in terms of the smoothness being better after balancing. Maintenance may be easier because the prop can be removed and then reattached without requiring setting the pitch again assuming the cowling has been modified to clear the front gear leg.

I haven't yet ordered my engine. I'm trying to decide if I want to go forward with the three bladed prop myself which will require EAB, or if I want to stick with the factory specified two bladed prop. The smoother ride may be enough to convince me that EAB is the right path for me.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subpar_bucker View Post
Getting back to the original point of this thread: does the lack of an announcement on this topic from Van's mean the three bladed prop is not going to be offered for the 12iS?

I've gone back and re-read all of Scott's posts on this thread. It sounds like there's little/no performance benefits to the 3 bladed prop. There is a benefit in terms of the smoothness being better after balancing. Maintenance may be easier because the prop can be removed and then reattached without requiring setting the pitch again assuming the cowling has been modified to clear the front gear leg.

I haven't yet ordered my engine. I'm trying to decide if I want to go forward with the three bladed prop myself which will require EAB, or if I want to stick with the factory specified two bladed prop. The smoother ride may be enough to convince me that EAB is the right path for me.
The chance of a 3 blade being offered by Van's is not dead, just moving slowly at the moment because of OSH and working with Sensenich on an opportunity to test a set of blades slightly refined based on the flight testing done so far.
I will try and remember to update this thread when we have any new info to share.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-08-2018, 07:32 PM

Since I'm all about cruise performance.. and live at 100' MSL, I doubt a 3-blade prop will be of much interest to me. Maybe mountain folk feel different about it..

That said, I see value in a product like the -12 that offers factory-supported/endorsed options. Almost all of the options offered (aoa, g3x, dual LL, etc) can be implemented by the builder after certification.. but I like knowing that someone more knowledgeable than me OK'd the idea and tested it. I'm too new to building to feel confident that I can put a 3-blade prop on and I won't fall out of the sky... or cut a huge hole in the wing to install a light..and feel confident that the wing wont rip open in the wind.

So I think options like 3-blade props, an option to install camera mounts in approved locations.. IFR GPS, VOR receiver/antennas, etc add flexibility and value to the -12 platform.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the reply Scott. I'm glad to hear this project isn't dead.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtonport View Post
Since Vanís likes the prop for the RV-12 to be at an exact pitch then why not commission a fixed pitch prop, either 2 or 3 blade, that will be pitched exactly as specified for an RV-12?
I wonder if Vanís has ever considered a fixed pitch prop for the RV-12? My guess is that sometime over the last 10 years they have. I would be interested in hearing the plus and minus for a fixed pitch prop for the RV-12.
Thanks.
Check out CATTO, they have a three blade and soon a 2 blade fixed pitch for the-12.