- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
Any tips on the breather issue? I noticed that the "slobber tubes" on the Great Lakes planes that I got to fly for my introductory aerobatics lessons last winter made a lot of "slobber" after the inverted lessons, so I inferred that the inverted system kept oil going to the engine but didn't keep it off of the belly of the plane (without help from the tube to the tail, that is).
Aerobatic planes route the breather all the way to the tail so that any dribble will not end up on the belly. Even with a full inverted system, the "slobber pot" will still allow a small amount of oil to dribble out during and for a short time after a flight with a significant amount of positive/negative G transitions. But without it, you'd pump a lot out. There's a lot of info on this site. Search 'half raven' if you only want to contain oil.

Quote:
the advice I am getting on that is that, if you have to ask the entry speeds for loops and such, you shouldn't do them
Agree there!

Quote:
I will say that I didn't get addicted to sustained inverted flight or inverted spins, but I would really enjoy a hammerhead right about now!
It's not about getting addicted to 'sustained inverted' or inverted spins - that is simply incidental to more advanced aerobatics, should you become interested. 99.9% of RV pilots who do aerobatics just fly the basic loop, roll, Cuban, hammer, spin figures, and you don't need any inverted systems at all for the usual RV acro. If you want to compete, and maximize you potential, there are other considerations. Unfortunately, only more aerobatic experience will tell you how far you want to take things, and exactly what style of flying you want the airplane capable of.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:02 AM

Ari--we havent done any inverted oil systems for the 14 yet, but similar systems on the 6, 7 & 8 as well as several other experimental models. Plumbing it is no issue.

I would suggest getting mockups or really good dimensions of the tank and ball valve before you buy anything. The location of the oil cooler might hinder the right (co pilots side) install location.

You might also talk with Allan Barrett on the sump situation.

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 08-08-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum View Post
Danny, is your oil accumulator plumbed in addition to the inverted scavenging, or did you remove the inverted system entirely?

From the apparent size of the oil accumulators google brings up it seems that they would provide a fairly short burst on a Lycoming before they run out?
The Christen inverted oil system is still installed, so the Doll can fly continuous inverted flight. Still, with a Hartzel prop that is spring loaded to low pitch, I still need the accumulator for protection against zero G when the Christen oil flop valve stops between positive and negative positions. A good example is when doing a Hammer head turn when on the up line the aircraft is at zero G.

The accumulator is plumbed to a #6 AN fitting given to me by Bart at Aero Sport engines. It replaced the cap fitting at the top of the accessory case oil passage way.

Consider this when making your decision. The oil/air separator function of the Christen system also switches the breather between positive and negative G flight. The oil/air separator tank returns most (but not all) of the oil back to the sump.

Unless you plan continuous negative G flight, the accumulator should handle momentary pressure loss.
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2018

Last edited by Danny King : 08-08-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 AM

Find a parts book for the new extream decathlon. It uses an IO390 if you duplicate that setup and propeller you should be good.
Dave
Old 08-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Watch Jim's hammerheads.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4MFxXrih_M

I learned that 80 is fine for an upline and it keeps the belly dry. I can get 2,000' upline at 190kts, 2g pull to 80 and a dry belly.

Hesitations, slow rolls, cubans, all OK, provided as earlier correspondents have said, just keep a gnats of positive on. Adds to the technique discipline...

Donated in 2018
Old 08-08-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
Hesitations, slow rolls, cubans, all OK, provided as earlier correspondents have said, just keep a gnats of positive on. Adds to the technique discipline...
More like removes technique discipline.