VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-19-2018, 06:47 AM

Default RV 6 TO A RV6A

I just bought a RV 6 and am not really comfortable with the whole taildrager thing. any one ever convert a 6 to a 6A, any thoughts and advice is appreciated.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed-racer View Post
I just bought a RV 6 and am not really comfortable with the whole taildrager thing. any one ever convert a 6 to a 6A, any thoughts and advice is appreciated.
Two suggestions:

1) Either get more training so you can be "comfortable" with your RV-6

or

2) Sell the plane and buy one with a nose gear.

Converting the -6 to a -6A is a major job for an RV builder and a totally impractical one for a non-builder. The money and time would be better spent on moving to a different aircraft.

Your best choice is most likely the first one. Find a good instructor to get you up to speed on the RV-6 and you will find you have a delightful aircraft.

Welcome to VAF, Tony!

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 07-19-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 AM

Interesting. I know of a person buying an almost complete RV-6A and is trying to convert it to an RV-6 (against the advice of all previous RV builders he has talked with).

Iíll send him a note - perhaps a fusleage swap is the path forward for you.

Carl
Old 07-19-2018, 07:11 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Interesting. I know of a person buying an almost complete RV-6A and is trying to convert it to an RV-6 (against the advice of all previous RV builders he has talked with).

Iíll send him a note - perhaps a fusleage swap is the path forward for you.

Carl
It would have to be an airframe swap, the wings on the sixes are unique to each fuselage. Not practical.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:49 PM

I second the learn to fly it option! I had zero hours of TD time when I got my - 6. Love it and wouldn't change a thing!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:04 AM

I would also suggest getting quality tail wheel instruction. You may need to travel, but it is totally worth it. I would estimate the cost and time required to get comfortable and master the tail wheel would be exponentially easier than trying to modify your 6.

I have helped many pilots learn and 10 hours and 60 laps in the pattern is not unheard of. I would also suggest you get comfortable with wheel and 3 points. Chances are you will prefer one over the other. I see some on flight reviews who only use 3 points and are almost dangerous attempting wheel landings.

One of the best compliments I received was a wide body capt. returning from an asia trip commenting that he can't wait to get to the airport and enjoy some more tail wheel.

I think I have read / own every tail wheel book and this is one of my favorites:

https://www.amazon.com/Conventional-.../dp/1560274603

It really is fun and rewarding after you get the hang of it!

RV-6, IO-320, Catto

Last edited by flyinhood : 07-29-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:47 AM

Ahh, the (original) 8A. Mine had been metalized. I learned to fly in it; a great teacher. Went straight from the Luscombe to a Thorp T-18, & had no problem at all. (For the uninitiated, the T-18 is a bit hotter than an RV-x.)

I'd also advise to at least give it a try with a good t/w instructor before doing something more radical. But if you must drag your nose, you can convert it without either a fuselage or wing swap (??). All you need is the motor mount, main gear mounts, and the gear itself. (And a lot of time & misc hardware, of course...)

Charlie
Old 07-29-2018, 07:59 AM

Arenít the landings in an -A similar to a tail wheel in that you must keep weight off the nose gear? Taxing would be different but on landing on grass, the nose wheel can dig in and needs to be held off as long as possible. Just my observation, never flown a RV-A, only taildraggers so take this for what it cost.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:08 AM

Sorry; no. A trike has cg forward of the mains; a t/w a/c has it aft of the mains. You think it's stable because you don't think about correcting for the instability.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
Aren’t the landings in an -A similar to a tail wheel in that you must keep weight off the nose gear? Taxing would be different but on landing on grass, the nose wheel can dig in and needs to be held off as long as possible. Just my observation, never flown a RV-A, only taildraggers so take this for what it cost.
This rule applies to ALL nose draggers. Not just RVs. The nose wheel is for taxiing. Not take-offs and landings.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award

Last edited by Mel : 07-29-2018 at 08:11 AM.