Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2018, 06:39 AM

I'm heading up to fly with Mike Seager when I get home in a month. Can't wait!
Old 08-16-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luddite42 View Post
But if you're doing so much pedal pumping in a Citabria that would get you in trouble in an RV-8, you're doing it wrong.
I quickly got the pedal action down to next to nothing once I started flying my own RV-8. It's got Rocket Link steering which is more like coasting on a bicycle during rollout than slack chains are. It's a pussycat now.

Tom

==================================
RV-8 N269CP
O-360-A1A w/Hartzell CS prop on 100LL
Slick-IC+PMag ignitions
Steam gauges, EI UBG-16 & FP-5, Garmin Aera 660
TruTrak autopilot (GPS coupled)
Reiff engine preheater
AntiSplat oil mist separator
MH O2 system

Last edited by Tom @ N269CP : 08-16-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom @ N269CP View Post
It's got Rocket Link steering which is more like coasting on a bicycle during rollout than slack chains are. It's a pussycat now.
Hmmm ... 2100+ Hobbs hours in my previous RV-8 with TW chains. It was a pussycat. JDAir steering link on my current RV-8, it's also a pussycat.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 08-16-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
I experienced the same thing on my initial test flight. Maybe a little slow and ran out of elevator. Not pleasant dropping it in like that on the first landing. Ballast in the back might have helped that situation. Individual CG conditions vary, of course.

If you can consistently make nice 3-pts the -8, you're good to go.
I've got more weight in the rear baggage compartment now which provides more pitch authority during landings. But I believe one needs to be prepared to wheelie it on...if necessary...when they first solo it because it handles so differently without a passenger in the back. It can take a little while to gain confidence with the plane. If you've got 1000 hrs of tailwheel time before strapping on an RV-8, that certainly helps. But lots of new RV-8 pilots do not.

Tom

RV-8 N269CP
Slick-IC+PMag ignitions
Reiff engine preheater
MH O2 system

Last edited by Tom @ N269CP : 08-16-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Obtaining dual instruction in any aircraft is advisable! Every aircraft has it's "gotchayas". For take-off, I would suggest that you hold the brakes, push the RPM up to 1700, release the brakes and smartly apply full power while maintaining directional control with rudder. Let the tail fly itself off. Lift it if you want once the tail is flying. In a X wind lift it to help increase directional control. Then go fly! For landing, I preach tight patterns. In my opinion, big patterns are a crutch and hazardous to you and the aircraft behind you. Speed control while entering the pattern is paramount in setting up a stabilized approach. Slow down early. I use 100 mph on downwind, 90 base, 80 on final. CG is key to 3 pointing. A forward CG makes it virtually impossible to 3 pt. I put about 25 lbs of weight in the aft baggage to help move my CG aft. You will run out of up trim with a forward CG while trying to doing a wheel or 3 pt landing with out weight in the back. Wheel landings are all about airspeed control, managing sink rate and flair height. Fly the plane down and round your flair out at 1ft, idle power and the 8 will settle right to the runway. A slight forward pressure is all you need after the mains touch. I like to retract the flaps in a crosswind or if I am wanting to stop quickly. I am not a fan of the tail low landing in this airplane. I would be remiss if I didn't mention this. If you don't like what is happening on the takeoff roll. ABORT! And if you don't like how your approach is developing or your landing is not going the way that it should be...... GO AROUND! Both are free and you can reset and try it again.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:22 PM

Default Take off and Landing...short form

Takeoff
Line up with runway, push throttle forward, buildings go by faster, keep pointed in direction of runway, ease back stick, buildings get smaller.

Landing
Line up with runway, pull throttle back, buildings get bigger, ease stick back, buildings go by slower, keep pointed in direction of runway.

Tip…A models drive like a car on the ground, TW models drive like a forklift.

The rest is just details.
VAF Dues Paid for 2018
Old 08-21-2018, 05:50 PM

Bruce,
You’ve gotten lots of good advice here from experienced RV8 Pilots and lots of different techniques that work for them. If you are still looking for an instructor, I know of two that have dual control RV8’s. Bruce B. In Houston has been mentioned, and my new RV8 partner is going to see him next week. There is another one in Illinois, at Blue Sky Aero. After you get some type training from someone with a dual control 2 seat RV (RV6 & 7 works too), Ken Rieder here at KHAO, north side of Cincinnati, may be able to fly with you in a normally configured RV8 to help you feel comfortable before soloing your bird.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtZim View Post
Hi all,

Could anyone do a quick verbal brief on what a normal takeoff and landing are like in an 8?

I just finished a fresh tailwheel endorsement in an Aeronca Champ - 90% on a grass runway, and am looking for transition training this summer before I finish construction. I did some flying of a Citabria many years ago off of hard surface and I'm sure that was a bit closer to RV performance.

Thanks!

I'm located near Cincinnati if you know of a good instructor in the area.
Cool, I moved from Cinci to Dallas a couple years ago, and am taking lessons in a Champ right now Are you flying out of Waynesville?
Old 08-31-2018, 10:16 PM

My preferred pattern with the RV-8 w/ O-360 and CS prop typically goes like this:

1. On downwind at TPA, about 12.5" MP will slow it down to about 95 mph abeam the numbers
2. Lower flaps to 50%
3. Perform GUMPS check...select best tank, mixture full rich, prop full fine, boost pump on
4. Trim to stabilize airspeed at 90 mph IAS
5. Adjust throttle to set prop speed between 2,300-2,400 rpm. (CS prop @ full fine may need higher RPM than FP prop for comparable descent rate.)
6. With the runway threshold about 30-45 degree off my shoulder start turn to base.
7. Adjust angle of base leg to compensate for winds
8. Small adjustments to throttle (rpm) may be necessary on base so that you roll out on final at 400 ft AGL. This typically provides for a conservatively high and steep descent (my preference).
9. Adjust throttle to maintain stable glide slope. Apply x-wind corrections to maintain centerline alignment.
10. Chop power over the threshold, round out to about 6"-12" off the runway, add a bit power if needed to control sink, focus on far end of runway, and manage energy to touch down main wheels first with minimal descent speed. Apply small amount of forward stick once the main wheels touchdown to keep it on the runway.
11. Be vigilant and ready with the rudder pedals to keep the plane aligned with the centerline
12. Let tail come down on its own...do not hold tailwheel off the ground
13. Full back on the stick once the tailwheel touches the pavement
14. Apply brakes as necessary

YMMV, but this is what works best for me.

Tom

RV-8 N269CP
Slick-IC+PMag ignitions
Reiff engine preheater
MH O2 system

Old 09-01-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
Cool, I moved from Cinci to Dallas a couple years ago, and am taking lessons in a Champ right now Are you flying out of Waynesville?
Hi, yes I did a checkout this spring, but haven't been flying much since. I'm scheduled for a BFR flight and trying to get some dual in their Citabria - but that instructor seems to be quite busy.
GTN 625
GNC 255
GTR 20
GTX 45R
G5 x 2

Facebook "log" https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproject/