VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-21-2018, 05:32 PM

Does anyone with these Van's mesh screen pickups have any data on their unusable fuel? I installed these per the plans in my RV-7 (as low as I could to the bottom of the tank and as far aft as possible, then performed two tests to determine remaining fuel, one in level flight attitude and one with the tail down. In both cases I was left with just under 7 liters, or 1.8gal each side when the pump started sucking air (I disconnected the fuel line at the fuel servo and just pumped into a bucket until the pump first started sucked air, then undid the tank drain and measured the remaining quantity). I've seen other posts where people have as little as 10oz left in the tank (with any unspecified pickup situation), and I'm wondering how this is possible. Are my remaining fuel numbers really way out of the ballpark?
Tom.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:26 AM

Problem solved. Leaking wing root gascolators (inadequately tightened and not lockwired by yours truly) caused the pump to suck air when the tanks got below 7 liters. Now the left tank only has 45 ml unuseable, and the right tank 60ml in level flight attitude.

Tom.

Last edited by tgmillso : 07-22-2018 at 06:37 AM.